How to Clean An Infected Computer

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
It's recommended not the empty the Temporary Files anymore on an Infect PC, correct?

B

Brian

Hi Chiron,

This is an informative guide. Well done! Here are a few suggestions:

- Emphasise the need to back up data.
- Replace Emsisoft Emergency Kit with SAS Portable
- Remove CCE. A novice user would have problems using it.

Also, some of the steps are redundant. You mention TDSSKiller and HitmanPro in mutiple locations.

Brian

Chiron

Level 1
Thread author
Feb 24, 2011
geohac said:
- Emphasise the need to back up data.
Thanks, I do emphasize this in the second paragraph of the article.

geohac said:
- Replace Emsisoft Emergency Kit with SAS Portable
What is your reasoning for this? I was under the impression that Emsisoft Anti-Malware has a very high detection ratio. Is there a reason I should get rid of Emsisoft?

geohac said:
- Remove CCE. A novice user would have problems using it.
CCE is very important in my article as it lets you make sure the computer is actually clean and also relatively easily make the computer able to be cleaned by many of the other scanners. Also, I know that any FP's it has will not be on Windows files because all of these are in the whitelist and therefore will not be scanned.

Thus I can tell anyone to scan with it knowing that it won't find any really important files dangerous. Also, if their computer is that infected I don't think many people would complain too much that a program they can reinstall no longer works. It's a very powerful tool that if you follow my instructions should be able to get the computer back to working order.

Also, I added the section about Simplest Methods To Clean Your Computer to hopefully clean the computer without even requiring it. That was the whole point of the first section, it's essentially hoping that the computer's not even infected to the point that CCE is necessary. I don't see a point in removing it from the article.

geohac said:
Also, some of the steps are redundant. You mention TDSSKiller and HitmanPro in mutiple locations.
Thanks for pointing this out. However, this article is meant to be followed from one step to the next (unless you skip the first section, which you are allowed to do). Thus, if I think another scanner could cleaned enough for another to now work then I will advise it again.

The idea I'm following is that I want to be able to get someone's computer running in as little time as possible. If I wanted it to work in as few steps as possible then I'd always tell them to do full scans and scan with everything one after the other. Instead I give them advice which will hopefully allow them to skip all steps after it.

It's a different approach that I really hope will catch on.

Also, thanks for pointing out about the importance of making backups. I realized I hadn't remembered to emphasize it in my article about How to Stay Safe Online, so I made a section for it. It can be found here.

Thanks, please let me know if you have any further suggestions.

pcjunklist

Level 1
Dec 28, 2011
Great guide, I can send out the link instead of having to fix every loved 1's computers which seems to happen almost daily.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
You can add UVK (Ultra Virus Killer) to make some operation easier since the function were there for MBAM and HMP integrated.

Plus HMP have problems on removing due to license expiration then UVK will remove manual those threats.

And other repairing tools due to alteration by malware/viruses.

B

Brian

Chiron said:
What is your reasoning for this? I was under the impression that Emsisoft Anti-Malware has a very high detection ratio. Is there a reason I should get rid of Emsisoft?

Hi Chiron,

For two main reasons: It's more prone to false positives, and the download file is huge (over 120 MB). SAS portable is only 15 MB.

Brian

Chiron

Level 1
Thread author
Feb 24, 2011
jamescv7 said:
You can add UVK (Ultra Virus Killer) to make some operation easier since the function were there for MBAM and HMP integrated.

Plus HMP have problems on removing due to license expiration then UVK will remove manual those threats.

And other repairing tools due to alteration by malware/viruses.

Thank you for pointing out Ultimate Virus Killer. I checked it out and decided that it is useful but is not needed in this article. That said, I've bookmarked it for another I'm working on.

Thanks.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.