How to complement Mamutu?

Status
Not open for further replies.

timnik

Thread author
Verified
Feb 27, 2013
Hi guys!

What security software (freeware preferably) would you recommend using alongside Mamutu (if any) and why?
(I should put a freshly acquired license to good use, thanks to exterminator20 :dance3: )

rebel4life

Level 9
Verified
Sep 30, 2012
RE: How to complement Mamutu

you can try this combo it's working great for me

Avast AV 8 free + Mamutu 3.0 + Zemana Antilogger PRO + ZoneAlarm FW

timnik

Thread author
Verified
Feb 27, 2013

Thanks! I was thinking about Avast AV 8 free also link

I forgot to mention... I'm looking for something freeware.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011

Before installing any other software, check out what Mamutu can do (3rd column) :

https://www.emsisoft.com/en/software/compare/

Do you really need Extra on-access protection, or can you substitute those resources to other means of protection (sandboxing, light virtualisation)?

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
As Mamutu is a behavior blocker every AV should be complement unless conflicts due to other similar components.

Also most of the firewall have HIPS which generally a cause of a bit over security.

timnik

Thread author
Verified
Feb 27, 2013
Earth said:
Do you really need Extra on-access protection, or can you substitute those resources to other means of protection (sandboxing, light virtualisation)?
I'm not very familiar with sandbox or virtualization yet, so I wanted to keep the security simple (I'm installing Mamutu on my brother's computer which I cannot manage very often).

jamescv7 said:
Also most of the firewall have HIPS which generally a cause of a bit over security.
so windows 7 firewall should be enough?

Overkill said:
Mamutu and NOD32 get along great
I might try that if I win a license for the latter in a contest :)

Overkill

Level 31
Verified
Honorary Member
Feb 15, 2012
For the time being just use avast without it's BB and use Mamutu

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
To keep it simple, an Antivirus (of your choice) + Mamutu + Windows 7 Firewall + with default UAC settings.

If you choose avast Free, remember to do a custom installation as all listed under "components" are not required. Of course, views may differ.

yUZRxV8.jpg

Image Credits: (TheWindowsClub)

Gnosis

Level 5
Apr 26, 2011
If you use Malware Defender (firewall/HIPS) with it, make sure to use learning mode for at least a week or so. Otherwise it is a bear. Once you train MD, set it to not mess with you about USB sticks/devices or it will drive you insane.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Malware Defender is compatible with Windows 32-bit only, but there's no need for HIPS if they're using a BB.

Gnosis

Level 5
Apr 26, 2011
Malware Defender is compatible with Windows 32-bit only, but there's no need for HIPS if they're using a BB.

Oh. My mistake.
And I agree 100% about the BB minus HIPS; I am living it.

OK THEN:

Mamutu, ZoneAlarm, Emsisoft OA Free.

D

Deleted member 178

you can use Mamutu with almost everything even Avast/comodo BB (since they are not full-fledge BBs like Mamutu)

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
timnik: If you want pretty simple setup then yes FW of Windows 7 is capable.

+ You may configure through Windows Firewall with Maximum Security

Or tiny apps that helps to enhance Windows Firewall like Tinywall, Windows Firewall Control and others.

timnik

Thread author
Verified
Feb 27, 2013
Thanks for giving your comprehensive :mytwocents:, guys!
Looks like I have several combinations to play around with! :cool:

D

Deleted member 178

timnik said:
Aren't ZoneAlarm and Online Armor Free both firewalls? Won't conflict?

yes they will, unless you uninstall the firewall module of OA.

nastavnikhe

Level 10
Verified
Content Creator
Dec 16, 2012
Umbra Corp. said:
you can use Mamutu with almost everything even Avast/comodo BB (since they are not full-fledge BBs like Mamutu)
can I use Mamutu with F-Secure IS 2013?

Gnosis

Level 5
Apr 26, 2011
I had no clue that ZoneAlarm was a firewall.
Isn't there and AV out there with the Kaspersky engine that is not KAV?
Whatever product that is, if it exists, is what I meant instead of ZoneAlarm.

I am confused now.

Well, I say if there are no other Kaspersky powered options, other than paid stuff, then go with Avira Free AV, OA Free, Mamutu.

OA Free is a wicked firewall. It takes a little getting used to, but once you learn the interface, it gives you piece of mind and security like no other firewall (imho).
Avira is a really powerful free AV option, and if you tweak it a bit, it is ruthless. Avira Free is also extremely light. As you are surfing and multitasking, you will never know it is doing its thing in the background.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.