How to complement Mamutu?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gnosis

Level 5
Apr 26, 2011
I guess I did know it was a firewall, and then I thought I had read something about it having a Kaspersky engine, so I figured it was now a free AV product instead of a free firewall product.

timnik

Thread author
Verified
Feb 27, 2013
Gnosis said:
Well, I say if there are no other Kaspersky powered options, other than paid stuff, then go with Avira Free AV, OA Free, Mamutu.

Let me know if something like this exists and it's light and I'll try it.

Gnosis said:
Avira is a really powerful free AV option, and if you tweak it a bit, it is ruthless. Avira Free is also extremely light. As you are surfing and multitasking, you will never know it is doing its thing in the background.

I need this combo to be light on the resources because the PC is pretty old. So the combo will be: Mamuto + Avira Free + Win 7 FW.
Is my logic correct here about Win 7 FW being the lightest because it's built-in?

Overkill

Level 31
Verified
Honorary Member
Feb 15, 2012
Gnosis said:
I guess I did know it was a firewall, and then I thought I had read something about it having a Kaspersky engine, so I figured it was now a free AV product instead of a free firewall product.

I think zonealarm uses kaspersky engine in their av module?

Gnosis

Level 5
Apr 26, 2011
So the combo will be: Mamuto + Avira Free + Win 7 FW.

That sounds like a pretty wise choice. It would be solid and light.

That must be it.
What threw me is that ZA free is a firewall, while their premium paid offer has an AV with it, which I must have heard is the Kaspersky powered ZA item.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
timnik: Not just light due to its built in environment but likely dealing without consumption issue thus running like a silent type + you may configure more from maximum security of Windows FW for effective results.

timnik

Thread author
Verified
Feb 27, 2013
nastavnikhe said:
Umbra Corp. said:
you can use Mamutu with almost everything even Avast/comodo BB (since they are not full-fledge BBs like Mamutu)
can I use Mamutu with F-Secure IS 2013?

Can't say if they will conflict or not, but I used F-Secure IS on its own for several years (had a license from my university) and never had any problems with viruses. So using Mamutu is not necessary I reckon.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
Gnosis said:
So the combo will be: Mamuto + Avira Free + Win 7 FW.

That sounds like a pretty wise choice. It would be solid and light.

That must be it.
What threw me is that ZA free is a firewall, while their premium paid offer has an AV with it, which I must have heard is the Kaspersky powered ZA item.

ZoneAlarm offers a totally free version called "ZoneAlarm Free Antivirus + Firewall". The only limitation is one auto update every 24 hours, however you can manually update it anytime.

Yes it uses Kaspersky AV engine and database but their own real-time protection features. But there is no reason to use it with Mamutu since it already has an excellent behavior blocker called "DefenseNet".

Thanks.:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.