Advice Request How to Detect Linux Viruses

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

wat0114

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 5, 2021
A simple rule for modern malware is that it will follow the money. There is no money to be made from Linux home users, the market share is too low and the return of their investment would be dubious, at best. Servers are a completely different story.

I "Liked" your post but I don't want to disregard secuurity on Linux just because of "Security through obscurity". Windows or Linux, I don't care what I'm running (dual-booting Debian 10 with Windows 10), I do what I feel is sufficient to secure both O/S', although to answer the specific question of the thread, no I don't do anything to detect viruses on Linux. Rather, I have measures in place to prevent them; Apparmor, Firejail, UFW rules and timely updates. That's all.

EDIT

Forgot to mention, I've always trusted the integrity of the Linux repositories to provide virus-free updates. They've yet to let me down.

mlnevese

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 3, 2015
I "Liked" your post but I don't want to disregard secuurity on Linux just because of "Security through obscurity". Windows or Linux, I don't care what I'm running (dual-booting Debian 10 with Windows 10), I do what I feel is sufficient to secure both O/S', although to answer the specific question of the thread, no I don't do anything to detect viruses on Linux. Rather, I have measures in place to prevent them; Apparmor, Firejail, UFW rules and timely updates. That's all.

EDIT

Forgot to mention, I've always trusted the integrity of the Linux repositories to provide virus-free updates. They've yet to let me down.

I didn't mean you should disregard security on Linux or Macs. You should have security even if it is to avoid sending malware to others. And the fact the malware is not targeting the home market does not mean you won't be affected by it. Be safe whatever OS you use :)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.