Guide | How To How to enable start Orb and Start Menu on Windows 8?

The associated guide may contain user-generated or external content.

Nathan Wootton

Level 1
Thread author
May 25, 2011
we know Windows 8 Consumer Preview has been released with many changes over the earlier Developer Preview build of Windows 8.

One of the biggest change in Windows 8 Consumer Preview, Microsoft removed start Orb with the good one start menu. So for those users who don't like to use Metro UI and those who want bring back the Start Button along with the start menu, ViStart is a great application to make this happen. ViStart was created for Windows XP to bring Windows Vista/7 Start Menu, but it also working on current release of Windows 8.

To bring back Start Orb and Start Menu on Windows 8 you have to first download the application of ViStart which is available as free from this link.

http://www.lee-soft.com/vistart/builds/windows-start-menu-vistart.exe

After download install it, while installing skip the unnecessary option which you don't want to install. After successful install you will see the Start Orb on taskbar but it will overlap with first taskbar icon. To fix this issue you have to create new toolbar using the following steps,

Create a New Folder on Desktop.
After creating the folder you have to create new toolbar for this one simply Right Click on Taskbar>Toolbars>New Toolbar.
Browse for the folder which you created in first step and select that folder.
After you have to unlock the taskbar for this you have to just Right Click on Taskbar>Uncheck Lock The Taskbar.
After success on unlock the taskbar, move the 'New Folder' taskbar element anywhere on the taskbar, so position it to element to the Start Orb.
Now right click on 'New Folder' which is on taskbar element which is under the Start Orb you have to uncheck the "Show Text" and "Show Title" in the menu.
Now again lock the taskbar by right click on tasbkar, you will see your good old Start Orb and Start Menu back on Windows 8.

http://win8informer.blogspot.in/2012/03/how-to-enable-start-orb-and-start-menu.html

V

Vextor

I already heard about this article, what I think you should do is change the title as it isn't enabling, it is using a third-party application to add the start button to Windows.
Otherwise, thanks for sharing this with the community so people who didn't know about it could use it.
+1.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Another alternative to replacing the Start button in Windows 8
"with no need for a third party app" - Find out how.

MrXidus

Super Moderator (Leave of absence)
Apr 17, 2011
You can put in any email, It will provide the download link straight away on the same page.

malbky

Level 1
Jun 23, 2011
Yes saw this on askvg.com. I do not like removal of start menu i hope so by some luck we do get it into the final win 8 release.

Anyway thanks.

WinAndLinuxTutorials

Level 4
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 23, 2011
Earth said:
Another alternative to replacing the Start button in Windows 8
"with no need for a third party app" - Find out how.

I never thought of doing this on Windows 8. I used to do it on Windows 7 when I didn't like the Windows 7 start menu. :D I prefer this method because I will have the ability to access the start screen and the all programs menu without a one replacing the other. :)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.