Troubleshoot How to fix Firefox UI Freeze when clicking a downloaded executable?

Handsome Recluse

Level 23
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 17, 2016
Briefly explain your current issue(s)
Firefox UI temporarily freezes when clicking on downloaded executable from the web
Steps taken to resolve, but have been unsuccessful
Disabling SmartScreen fixes it.
This seems related to Smartscreen or maybe any Windows prompts about downloads.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
When smartscreen is checking a file, you can expect a delay, during which nothing will happen. The length of the delay is unpredictable. Sometimes smartscreen can't connect to its server, and you get put on hold, which will continue until it either connects, or it times out.

Upvote 0

Handsome Recluse

Level 23
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 17, 2016
When smartscreen is checking a file, you can expect a delay, during which nothing will happen. The length of the delay is unpredictable. Sometimes smartscreen can't connect to its server, and you get put on hold, which will continue until it either connects, or it times out.
The freeze doesn't happen on Chrome.

Reactions: shmu26
Upvote 0

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
The freeze doesn't happen on Chrome.
I use Firefox, and I don't see any unusual delays or freezes with downloaded installers.

When I have issues with Chrome, after uninstalling it I delete the Chrome folders in appdata. Then I reinstall. That usually cleans it up. Maybe this will work with Firefox, too.

Reactions: harlan4096
Upvote 0

Handsome Recluse

Level 23
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 17, 2016
I use Firefox, and I don't see any unusual delays or freezes with downloaded installers.

When I have issues with Chrome, after uninstalling it I delete the Chrome folders in appdata. Then I reinstall. That usually cleans it up. Maybe this will work with Firefox, too.
Might try that sometime since there is a less intrusive solution. Just mysterious since the only thing that connects those 2 different laptops was sync and only BitWarden's the extension that doesn't change and I deleted the sync account.

Gotta have to dig up some Freudian laptop memories to solve this one or maybe the Internet Gods would finally have mercy on me. Maybe the universe just hates me and this will never be solved.

Reactions: shmu26
Upvote 0

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Gotta have to dig up some Freudian laptop memories to solve this one or maybe the Internet Gods would finally have mercy on me. Maybe the universe just hates me and this will never be solved.
The Internet gods demand human sacrifice LOL

• HaHa
Reactions: bayasdev
Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.