Guide | How To How to fix problem when Windows Security Center reports multiple antivirus programs

The associated guide may contain user-generated or external content.

jamescv7

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Well Windows can have a problem due to the install and uninstall AV programs as Windows Security Center will react if there is an av installed or not.

Step by Step Procedure for Fixing Problem

1) Right-click on My Computer

2) Click on Manage

3) Click on the plus sign(+) next to Services and Applications in the left-hand column

4) Click on Services

5) Find the service called Windows Management Instrumentation, right-click on it, and choose Stop.

6) Open My Computer

7) Double-click on Drive C (or whatever drive Windows is installed on)

8) Double-click on the Windows folder

9) Double-click on System32

10) Double-click on WBEM

11) Right-click on the Repository folder and click Delete and remove it

12) Close the My Computer windows and return to the Windows services screen using steps 1 - 4 shown above

13) Find the service called Windows Management Instrumentation, right-click on it, and choose Start. Restarting this service will rebuild the repository folder information.

14) Restart your computer

Once the computer has restarted, open Windows Security Center or run Belarc Advisor. Only your currently installed antivirus and firewall programs should be listed.

PC Hell

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.