Not open for further replies.

Exterminator

Community Manager
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
http://news.softpedia.com/news/how-...te-kb3194496-installation-issues-508877.shtml

Microsoft rolled out Windows 10 cumulative update KB3194496 for computers running 1607 last week, but as we reported recently, there are plenty of users out there who are experiencing problems when trying to install it.

While this isn’t surprising at all given the fact that similar issues were spotted with many other cumulative updates, Microsoft has already confirmed that it’s investigating reports and that a fix is on its way.

Fortunately, someone on the Microsoft Community forums has found a workaround for this problem in order to successfully install the cumulative update on any Windows 10 computer.

The workaround
What you need to do is to fire up File Explorer and delete the entire folder at the following location (administrator privileges are needed, so make sure you are logged in with an admin account):

Code:
C: > Windows > System32 > Tasks > Microsoft > XblGameSave

After that, launch the Registry Editor by typing regedit.exe in the Start menu and delete the following registry key – once again, administrator privileges are needed to do this:

Code:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SOFTWARE > Microsoft > WindowsNT > CurrentVersion > Schedule > TaskCache > Tree > Microsoft > XblGameSave

According to users who have already tried this, all you need to do next is to launch Windows Update once again and try to download and install the cumulative update. Everything should be running correctly and the update should install just fine on all Windows 10 devices.

For the moment, only users who absolutely want to install the cumulative update should turn to this workaround, as Microsoft itself is expected to deliver a fix in the coming days or weeks. A new cumulative update will certainly land on October 11 when Microsoft is “celebrating” Patch Tuesday, so it’s not yet clear if a fix could be released in the meantime or the company could wait until next week to deliver it.

Other than that, Redmond itself says there’s no point in trying to install this cumulative update if it already failed because it’ll do the same every time until a fix is provided.

H

hjlbx

Also, if you have completely uninstalled (deleted) XBox and all associated items from your system, then KB3194496 will not install.

To get KB1394496 to install, you have to completely re-install XBox - and not forget to install all associated items.

There is a DISM re-install package method for advanced users, and then for everyone else there is a clean install of Windows 10.

Don't you just love it... ?

The better solution is to disable Windows Update service and only re-enable it to install any cumulative updates -- after waiting for at least two months for a "fixed" cumulative update.

Don't be one of Microsoft's guinea pigs...

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
Also, if you have completely uninstalled (deleted) XBox and all associated items from your system, then KB3194496 will not install.

To get KB1394496 to install, you have to completely re-install XBox - and not forget to install all associated items.

There is a DISM re-install package method for advanced users, and then for everyone else there is a clean install of Windows 10.

Don't you just love it... ?

The better solution is to disable Windows Update service and only re-enable it to install any cumulative updates -- after waiting for at least two months for a "fixed" cumulative update.

Don't be one of Microsoft's guinea pigs...
I deleted Xbox and all associated files, I'm a PC gamer and have no need for the components.
I had a severe boot loop remember me posting that not too long ago where this update is concerned ?
As you know I clone my HDD's so I popped in the clone and it went fine, and seeing it was a clone this made no sense to me.
But both had the xBox files and services removed and or disabled, it may be "a" factor ,but having removed them I can say
will not on its own cause this update to fail. After getting it to install I just re-cloned after the successful update, I should have
done some digging before I re-cloned :(

Tony Cole

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2014
Mine installed okay. How do you disable windows updates on the home version, personally I think Microsoft are a bunch of ******* I shall not use the word, but as you state were are nearly people they test their crap with, like drugs companies. Enterprise/companies get the best stuff, I wonder how many updates fail, probably not many as huge companies would go mad and Microsoft wouldn't want that!? Home users, poor soles have to wait 2-3 months, or never to get a fix.

Reactions: DardiM and XhenEd
H

hjlbx

Mine installed okay. How do you disable windows updates on the home version, personally I think Microsoft are a bunch of ******* I shall not use the word, but as you state were are nearly people they test their crap with, like drugs companies. Enterprise/companies get the best stuff, I wonder how many updates fail, probably not many as huge companies would go mad and Microsoft wouldn't want that!? Home users, poor soles have to wait 2-3 months, or never to get a fix.

WIN + R > services.msc > Set Windows Update to Disabled

The above will disable Windows Update service -- and Windows can't update until you re-enable it (Automatic [Delayed Start])

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.