How to get deep black Windows start menu and task bar?

Kongo

Level 35
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
Currently I'm looking for a way to make my windows completely black. I just would like to see how it looks. The only way to get "black" start menue is to enable dark mode in windows which doesn't really work, as it's making the color to grey and not black. I can literally find nothing on the web that works for me. Do you guys have an idea? :)

Reactions: show-Zi

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Using Windows Settings:
1590925884858.png

Start Menu will remain slightly off-black.
1590925925777.png

Using TranslucentTB App from Microsoft Store:
About & Antivirus said:
A lightweight (uses a few MB of RAM and almost no CPU) utility that makes the Windows taskbar translucent/transparent on Windows 10.

Some antiviruses are over eager, so they might flag this program as malicious. IT IS NOT! Over 200k users have downloaded this program safely. The source is open, you can compile it yourself, and I welcome any and all security reviews.

The parameters can be adjusted when interacting with the taskbar and search.
1590926638139.png

External Links:
🔗 Microsoft Store - TranslucentTB
🔗 GitHub - TransclucentTB Features

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
Looks like you might have to consider a theme package from a third party vendor. I looked here because I used this vendor before, it's some really nice stuff, like the docker, but the Xtreme is not free. There is also a Start Menu organizer that IS free but does not appear to have an opaque black version available.

Here's the link, you can demo the paid version if you'd like. Or check some of the links like WinCustomize on the home page (never tried so can't make an opinion there). Just be aware that the choices and combinations can be a little overwhelming.

Winstep Software Technologies - Desktop Themes and Customizing Windows

Edit: link works for me in Edge. I re-posted the link. Maybe an extension is blocking it? Otherwise, try it using your browser search engine. :)

Last edited:

Kongo

Level 35
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
Looks like you might have to consider a theme package from a third party vendor. I looked here because I used this vendor before, it's some really nice stuff, like the docker, but the Xtreme is not free. There is also a Start Menu organizer that IS free but does not appear to have an opaque black version available.

Here's the link, you can demo the paid version if you'd like. Or check some of the links like WinCustomize on the home page (never tried so can't make an opinion there). Just be aware that the choices and combinations can be a little overwhelming.

The link isn't working for me 😕

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
There are also patches that allow you to use unofficial skins.
UltraUXThemePatcher
visual-styles
I've never used it because it's software like drug administration to system files. I don't think it is dangerous, but you must be prepared to handle it with care.
Used these on previous Windows and has been safe and stable. Occasional visual bug depending on VS theme.

Modifying (patching) system files may be flagged my some AV software.

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
Well I found something and strangely, it was already installed on my system. Lol! It seems you can get a matte black Start Menu and task bar. I tried it but, um....anyway. Here is the link from the MT member I got it from. It's a paid software but the cost is low and budget-friendly.

My first and only try-- the menu has some unwanted lines and it doesn't align very well:

sib black.png

A bit better. My taskbar is normally transparent.

sib+.png

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.