Guide | How To How to know if a download contains PUP's

The associated guide may contain user-generated or external content.

donetao

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Sep 7, 2014
am i to understand that applications with .msi instead of .exe contain p.u.p.s :eek:
I'm not going to say is always true. I'm just saying I wouldn't down load the program if it wants to add any thing more that just the software that you want. It has been my experience that down loaded programs with.exe after the program are the ones I trust.
I help seniors down load programs and I always search for the author of the program and not use another down load sites like CNET and others that use down load managers!

donetao

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Sep 7, 2014
I know I'm driving this into the ground, but I want to save members from PUP's
Here's a bad down load!! See How much more has been added!
Capture48.JPG

Here's a good down load!!

Capture49.JPG

Callender

Level 1
Verified
Aug 16, 2014
It contains the installer for Open Candy as shown by scanning the download link. If further proof is required I downloaded the file and scanned it. If I run the installer it will install cleanly on my machine but other users will find that Open Candy has been installed.

If you noticed the first screenshot clearly shows a scan of the download link from the Author's Site.

You know that you have to run the installer to become infected - right? Not just simply download the file!:
Open Candy.jpg

Reactions: donetao

donetao

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Sep 7, 2014
Hi ! Very nice reply Callender!!
Thank you. I'm sure this will help MT members.

Last edited:

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Man, oh man!!:eek: "Msi, Cbsi, & Open Candy".:confused:
Something (I call it memory :rolleyes:) tells me this cat has seen these PUPs before.:oops:
Even if they're gone now, as I am hoping, it still leaves my skin crawling similarly to those ants that were doing their dance on my arms after unexpectedly leaving the partyo_O they were having on the outside trash barrel:mad: when I took out the trash yesterday!;):D

Reactions: Kent and donetao
ا

الشمس

Man, oh man!!:eek: "Msi, Cbsi, & Open Candy".:confused:
Something (I call it memory :rolleyes:) tells me this cat has seen these PUPs before.:oops:

just yesterday i got a compaq presario with some crap called web cake 3.0...freaking adware with a version # :eek:

anyways...good old adwcleaner helped me get rid of it :)

Kent

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Nov 4, 2013
It contains the installer for Open Candy as shown by scanning the download link. If further proof is required I downloaded the file and scanned it. If I run the installer it will install cleanly on my machine but other users will find that Open Candy has been installed.

If you noticed the first screenshot clearly shows a scan of the download link from the Author's Site.

You know that you have to run the installer to become infected - right? Not just simply download the file!: View attachment 20825
Please give the link to VirusTotal Scanner

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.