How to live without an antivirus?

D

Deleted member 2913

hmm......how to live without an AV.....?:)

well.....simple........you just need to follow the smarts.......@Yash Khan, @cruelsister..........:p

CFW with Proactive Config with little tweaks...;).........your primary or realtime protection.........

Adblocker like Adguard.......good to have......

Unchecky.....if you would like.........

Backup like Macrium, Veeam........good to have.....

Zemana Antimalware Portable or HitmanPro Portable.......good to have.......

Shadow Defender.........good to have........

DNS other than ISP.......depends on your ISP........guess mostly good to have.........

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
What methods are you using to prevent this?
All good advice already mentioned.
Solutions such as Rollback and Shadow Defender won't protect you from data loss.

If you got hit by a keylogger at 1:00 PM, and you accessed your bank account and your gmail account at 2:00 PM, and you rolled back your system at 5:00 PM, it's too late.
Prevent data loss by regular backups to local (offline) and cloud (online) services. I know with Avast Sandbox, you can add your personal folders to the Protected area to prevent (block) sandboxed programs access. Same with Sandboxie, I think - can anyone confirm?

But can this be achieved with Shadow Defender?
Since the keylogger's main objective is your password, it is advisable to use, for the most important services (such as online banking and email), the two-factor authentication.
Excellent point to use multi-factor authentication, this should be a standard practice for all Web accounts, where possible.

An alternate would be to use Mobile Banking for quick payments, or checking the balance. Most official banking apps are available for Android, iOS and Windows 10 Mobile. The downside to Mobile Banking is the inability to add a new recipient, at least from my experience, I needed to access Online Banking to add a new person and that's where multi-factor came into play.
Rodney- you would need an OutBound alerting firewall.
True for software-based loggers. Are hardware loggers still used? I suppose the attacker would need physical access to the system.

ID Theft Protection requires the user to be vigilant when opening links from the email and messaging services from friends and family, or even well-designed spoofed messages.

Modern browsers come with Phishing protection as standard, but as the end user you should not be dependant on these services, as some can slip through the nets. However, you can get extensions to provide more protection against dangerous sites or social engineering attempts.

Last edited:

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Solutions such as Rollback and Shadow Defender won't protect you from data loss.

If you got hit by a keylogger at 1:00 PM, and you accessed your bank account and your gmail account at 2:00 PM, and you rolled back your system at 5:00 PM, it's too late.
Thanks to the post of @Spawn, I realized that I had used the wrong word. I meant that RB and SD won't protect you from data LEAKS, meaning, your sensitive data can leak out to the attacker before you manage to roll your system back.

Reactions: Deleted member 2913

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.