How To never Worry About Malware Again!

Behold Eck

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 22, 2014
Hi! @Behold Eck :)Macrium is good,but not if you have a hard ware problem;). It will however allow you to replace a HD and restore your image to a brand new HD that is equal in size or larger. Thanks for your reply!

Unfortunately it was a motherboard component I presume as I had already tried other hard drives.

Good side is that I was able to use the deleted image partiton for back-ups....what else ?

Regards Eck:)

Reactions: donetao

donetao

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Sep 7, 2014
Good side is that I was able to use the deleted image partiton for back-ups....what else ?
Hi Eck! Sorry I'm not understanding the image partition. Are you talking about the hidden partition with back to factory on it?
I'm talking about a 3rd party back up program!;)

Reactions: Oxygen

Behold Eck

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 22, 2014
Hi Eck! Sorry I'm not understanding the image partition. Are you talking about the hidden partition with back to factory on it?
I'm talking about a 3rd party back up program!;)

It was just macrium image on the external hard drive as that`s all there was on it and so was able to use the space for regular storage.

Reactions: frogboy and donetao

Behold Eck

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 22, 2014
OK! I guess that should work.;)

Just wondering don, is it possible to store more than one macrium back-up on the same external hard drive partition ? Like if I backed up a 200 gb system to external hdd and say the actual back-up of windows was 40 gb, would I be able to do further back-ups of the same 40 gb windows system on the free space(160 gb) ?:confused:

Cheers

donetao

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Sep 7, 2014
Hi Eck! Not sure if I understand you. I have a 1TB seagate external HD. My internal drive is 500GB. I'm using about 50 GB. Macrium will compress the back up. You should be able to put several back up images on a 160GB external HD. I have other data on my seagate. Macrium will find the image if you have the source plugged in. At the moment I have 13 images on my external HD. I'm not real good with big numbers, but I'm thinking Macrium with compress the 50GB image to around 17GB. I try to create a image every month. I delete some of them if I think I have to many. I hope I answered your question!!
Capture48.JPG

donetao

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Sep 7, 2014
Hi! To all you MT members just starting to create back up images, you need to see if you can restore that image. If you ever need to restore a image you need to see if it's going to work. If you have the free version; which is the version I have, you will need the Linux rescue CD or the Windows PE. CD. If your running W7 you will need to burn the Windows PE3.1. If your running W8.1 you will need the Windows PE4.1
Macrium will let you choose which one you need. Then you need to boot with the rescue CD and let the wizard take you clear up until you see finish. Then cancel. You will need to have your boot order set to CD/DVD as first choice. I know it sounds hard, but it really isn't and Macrium has a wizard that will guide you and a whole bunch of videos. You really need to start creating back ups. http://www.macrium.com/help/v5/how_to/Rescue/Rescue_a_system_with_the_Windows_PE_environment.htm
Here's a all you need to know about Macrium!http://www.macrium.com/help.aspx

Last edited:
I

illumination

How to never worry about Malware again

I know the answer to this "as he waves his hand in the air" .. It is simple, turn your system off and go outside into nature.. It is fool proof :D
Or... Install Linux... :D.. All jokes aside, back ups/ images is the best solution to saving your system, although as pointed out in another response, sometimes restoring may be too late, and lost data may have occurred, but at least the machine will be intact again.. Combine backups with limiting sensitive data on the system would be best bet. I store everything externally, and leave nothing personal on the machine.

donetao

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Sep 7, 2014
All jokes aside, back ups/ images is the best solution to saving your system, although as pointed out in another response, sometimes restoring may be too late, and lost data may have occurred, but at least the machine will be intact again.
If you have a lot of important data every day, then you should back up that data every day. The back up image will restore your OS back just like the day you created the image. Any data that was added after the image was created will be lost just as @illumination says!!

donetao

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Sep 7, 2014
Hi! I know very little about Anti-Virus programs. I don't know know how to test them to see what definitions they are detecting and which ones they are missing. I'm not trained to remove malware from infected computers. I do know about Macrium Reflect and I feel like I know W7 pretty well. The only way I know how to give back to the MT community is to help answer questions about those things. If you have questions about Macrium, I will try my best to answer. If I don't have a answer, maybe @frogboy will. MT has other Macrium users and they might have a answer also. So post your questions here about Macrium. I have been getting some PM's lately asking questions and I enjoy answering them through PM's, but I think it would better to ask them here and then everyone might learn.
Thank you!

Behold Eck

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 22, 2014
Hi Eck! Not sure if I understand you. I have a 1TB seagate external HD. My internal drive is 500GB. I'm using about 50 GB. Macrium will compress the back up. You should be able to put several back up images on a 160GB external HD. I have other data on my seagate. Macrium will find the image if you have the source plugged in. At the moment I have 13 images on my external HD. I'm not real good with big numbers, but I'm thinking Macrium with compress the 50GB image to around 17GB. I try to create a image every month. I delete some of them if I think I have to many. I hope I answered your question!!View attachment 41322

I think I got it now donetoa, thanks for your time and the detailed explanation.

Did`nt know macrium compressed the back-ups ?

Reactions: frogboy

Behold Eck

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 22, 2014
All is clear don, so I`ve been using the "exact copy" or unintelligent copy.:rolleyes:

Just wondering with the restore from a compressed version are there any problems you`ve encountered with regard to the internal hard drive size ?

You`re absolutely right about not having to worry too much about malware if you have a host of clean images to restore from.:cool:

Kind Regards Eck:)

donetao

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Sep 7, 2014
All is clear don, so I`ve been using the "exact copy" or unintelligent copy.:rolleyes:

Just wondering with the restore from a compressed version are there any problems you`ve encountered with regard to the internal hard drive size ?

You`re absolutely right about not having to worry too much about malware if you have a host of clean images to restore from.:cool:

Kind Regards Eck:)
I have never had a problem restoring the compressed image. If your replacing the hard drive due to a failure or maybe just a up grade, I suggest getting a HD the same size or larger. I always use the intelligent(Recommended)copy!
Hope that answers your question! I leave all option set to default settings. You may wish to change them??
I'm glad your using Macrium and making back up images. I wish everyone would, but I'm afraid that will never happen!:(

Behold Eck

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 22, 2014
I have never had a problem restoring the compressed image. If your replacing the hard drive due to a failure or maybe just a up grade, I suggest getting a HD the same size or larger. I always use the intelligent(Recommended)copy!
Hope that answers your question! I leave all option set to default settings. You may wish to change them??
I'm glad your using Macrium and making back up images. I wish everyone would, but I'm afraid that will never happen!:(

It just takes a bit of time and organisation but the benefits are many, one being peace of mind.

All questions answered alas clar don.:D

Cheers

donetao

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Sep 7, 2014
It just takes a bit of time and organisation but the benefits are many, one being peace of mind.

All questions answered alas clar don.:D

Cheers

Yes Sir! Just knowing that you can be back up and running just like the day you created the image in about 15 minutes, is a great piece of mind.
You will learn other great features of how to mount the image as a drive and copy and paste or drag and drop.
Macrium is a great software.

Behold Eck

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 22, 2014
Yes Sir! Just knowing that you can be back up and running just like the day you created the image in about 15 minutes, is a great piece of mind.
You will learn other great features of how to mount the image as a drive and copy and paste or drag and drop.
Macrium is a great software.

Yup and being at the cost of free helps as well though I`d pay for it no problem.

Time to hit the hay and dream of incremental (compressed)back-ups and such like.

Good night don and thanks.

Reactions: frogboy

donetao

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Sep 7, 2014
;) Good night ! I do not like incremental back ups. I want the whole image that I know is free from malware.
Incrementals are some thing I have ever used!;) It is MHO that they can get corrupted. I guess if your space is limited, they would be OK.
I just don't like them.:(

Reactions: Oxygen and frogboy
I

illumination

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.