By Staff How to perform dynamic malware testing [for Hub testers]

D

Deleted member 65228

Thread author
Would enabling drag and drop from host to guest be a bad idea? I do that but disable the option before testing. I also have 16 gigs a RAM so I don't worry much about resources. The VM runs pretty fast.
Disable the drag and drop always before testing malware in the VM :)

All these Guest -> Host and Host -> Guest features are all large attack vectors because they actually provide functionality for the communication. Would not be surprised if a government agency already figured out how to exploit it with some sort of attack like exploitation of the ROP chain. A VM will never be bullet-proof but I doubt any single individual here will encounter a VM escape if its secure by disabling such features like the drag and drop, shared clipboard, shared folders, etc. :)

You can also use a Linux system with no hard-disk which boots off a USB as a precaution against hardware firmware hacking LOL. I've never done it but I know you definitely can.

The issue I think is vulnerabilities in the CPU chips which cause so much hassle with virtualisation security, have you seen the latest Intel vulnerability news? It's all over the News now. And Virtual Machines are only possible because of usage of technology which is implemented into the CPU hardware (Intel VT-x, AMD SVM, etc). However, AMD seems to be quite safe compared to Intel IMO.

boredog

Level 9
Verified
Jul 5, 2016
You can also use a Linux system with no hard-disk which boots off a USB as a precaution against hardware firmware hacking LOL. I've never done it but I know you definitely can.

Yes I do this on a laptop.

I just saw a story about Intel this morning but have not read it yet.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.