how to protect my computer from Cryptowall ?

unfogiven19

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Mar 30, 2015
Hi :)

I was infected before with this virus Cryptowall ... however I managed my self to restore my files and I reinstalled my pc ... I'm only Using Kespersky INTERNET security 2015

is there any tools or software that protect us from CRYPTO virus such as Cryptowall & cryptodefense and others ??

Thank you.

Reactions: tallorder
Y

yigido

Just watch out your mouse clicks ;) There is no way after encryption of files.
Even a police department in USA, had to pay this money to decrypt their files :)
or you can use HitmanPro.Alert 3 with its new features (CryptoGuard feature is paid!) to get protected.

Stas

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Feb 21, 2015
MBAE doesn't have cryptolocker protection. HitmanPro.Alert 2 is free and have CryptoGuard feature.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I would advise to keep offline (external drive) and online backup copies of your documents and media files, stored or unlinked from your PC. There is no need to install additional security software, as Kaspersky is very capable of protecting your PC.

If you are paying customer, Kaspersky Support may be able to advise. Or ask here for how to configure Kaspersky. I am sure there is a guide around here somewhere.

Tony Cole

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2014
I use (now) HitmanPro.Alert 180 and CryptoPrevent, but some now say CryptoPrevent is not that good, using it in maximum mode does cause a lot of issues i.e., installing/removing software and Windows updates.

aztony

Level 9
Verified
Oct 15, 2013
HitmanPro.Alert 2 is free and have CryptoGuard feature.
It is my understanding that HMP.A2 cannot protect against the latest ransomware variants. Would need to buy HMP.A3 for that assurance.
erikloman (developer) said: Alert 2 is obsolete. Alert 2 does not cover recent crypto-ransomware families
http://www.wilderssecurity.com/thre...iscussion-thread.324841/page-200#post-2479252
I have it on one of my computers, but I am hearing different things about its efficacy against the newer strains of ransomware.

Last edited:

Khairul

Level 2
Verified
Feb 3, 2015
I agreed with the statement watch your click and personally i would like to add some, surf safe, and do the reading on the terms on the software your installing as it might install PUP that might download other malicious too. The strain are changing, and in this world, there is impossible to say that we are protected 100% from this threat. Even vendor dares to guaranteed 99% and not 100%.

Surf safe, you yourself are the first layer of defense on your privacy and data safety

broughie

Level 2
Verified
Sep 11, 2013
I had a police ransomware message a while ago browsing in sandboxie .Closed sandboxie and ransomware gone. Is sandboxie effective against crypto strains ?

Reactions: Davidov

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
For built in feature on Windows, UAC at highest level should notify the protection + Smartscreen filter will notify about unknown program. Then have up to date realtime protection as much as possible, it should detect by read not on write (upon executing).

I had a police ransomware message a while ago browsing in sandboxie .Closed sandboxie and ransomware gone. Is sandboxie effective against crypto strains ?

Like other malware and viruses once you execute in sandbox changes will be done isolated however data stealing may occur and which will expose without any hesitations.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.