Troubleshoot How to remove bloatware?

javier_90MFC

Thread author
Mar 15, 2015
How can i remove all the unnecessary HP bloatware programs that come with the computer I purchased a few months ago? Programs include: HP Support Assistant, HP Documentation, Wireless Button Driver, Utility Center, Simple Pass, Cool Sense, System Event Utility. Is it recommended to remove these?

Reactions: tallorder and Moose

YuanJiawj

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 9, 2014
How can i remove all the unnecessary HP bloatware programs that come with the computer I purchased a few months ago? Programs include: HP Support Assistant, HP Documentation, Wireless Button Driver, Utility Center, Simple Pass, Cool Sense, System Event Utility. Is it recommended to remove these?
Another good alternative is IObit Uninstaller 4 and GeekUninstaller (native x64 support). ;)

Upvote 0

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
  • The wireless button driver is required to use the wireless keys.I would keep this
  • HP support assistance is good to keep but not necessary
  • Simple Pass is the software package for the fingerprint reader on supported PC's.If you dont need to use it or dont have it this can be removed
  • Cool sense automatically adjusts your PC cooling to prevent overheating(probably not necessary)but no harm in keeping it
  • System Event Utility enables special function keys on the system to be programmed(probably not necessary)no harm in keeping
  • HP Documentation provides warranty info and user guide.It has been known to be bundled with 3rd Party software therefore I would say this can be removed as this information is readily available if need be.
Some of these really do no harm in keeping them.If any are enabled in startup they can easily be disabled if you don't find you need them.Some are required for certain built in functions especially drivers.IMO some are worthwhile to keep and you really don't gain anything by uninstalling them.I would be more concerned with ridding a new PC of all the 3rd party crapware programs installed on a new PC.These would include games,video programs,Antivirus trials(unless you are going to use it),etc. and everything else that you have no use for.

If you are unsure about something this is a kind of handy tool http://www.shouldiremoveit.com/index.aspx

As has been mentioned above IObit Uninstaller or Revo Uninstaller will work well in getting rid of all traces of these programs.

Upvote 0

Azure

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 23, 2014
Personally I would recommend keeping HP Support Assistant. As for the other programs, exterminator20 has already giving you very good and detail list on what to do with them.

Upvote 0

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Prior as I'm a HP user laptop, those built in programs are not considered to be bloatware caused primarily important from a functionality daily use.

As prior said by @exterminator20, the details give you exactly are no harm at all, + the good thing for HP it includes Cyberlink products like YouCam, MediaSuite and PowerDVD except AV program like McAfee which you can remove that without problem.

HP Support Assistance if I'm not mistaken it does include updates to your drivers if there's anything new, but in case of any problems better to kept it so to access easily.

Upvote 0

marzametal

Level 7
Verified
Jun 10, 2014
Not sure how HP sets up Cyberlink via pre-install, but removing it from this ASUS notebook was easy until I saw the remnants in registry (after a scan supposedly cleaned it all up) and directories; deleted a lot more via manual editing.

Watch out for registry remnants from some pre-installed AV products. They leave permanent legacy drivers in registry, cannot be removed. Well, I know Trend Micro does. Even though you got HP, some of this can relate...

It depends if you're a n00b or a nerd, n00bs don't care for registry remnants, nerds do.

First off, make a backup using the pre-installed recovery application (there should be one, if not, HP is slipping...). Then remove bloatware, then remove unwanted HPware, then use a 3rd party backup/recovery app to make a backup of a bloatware/HPware cleaned system. The rest, good luck to ya'...

Upvote 0

tallorder

Level 6
Verified
Jan 15, 2015
  • The wireless button driver is required to use the wireless keys.I would keep this
  • HP support assistance is good to keep but not necessary
  • Simple Pass is the software package for the fingerprint reader on supported PC's.If you dont need to use it or dont have it this can be removed
  • Cool sense automatically adjusts your PC cooling to prevent overheating(probably not necessary)but no harm in keeping it
  • System Event Utility enables special function keys on the system to be programmed(probably not necessary)no harm in keeping
  • HP Documentation provides warranty info and user guide.It has been known to be bundled with 3rd Party software therefore I would say this can be removed as this information is readily available if need be.
Some of these really do no harm in keeping them.If any are enabled in startup they can easily be disabled if you don't find you need them.Some are required for certain built in functions especially drivers.IMO some are worthwhile to keep and you really don't gain anything by uninstalling them.I would be more concerned with ridding a new PC of all the 3rd party crapware programs installed on a new PC.These would include games,video programs,Antivirus trials(unless you are going to use it),etc. and everything else that you have no use for.

If you are unsure about something this is a kind of handy tool http://www.shouldiremoveit.com/index.aspx

As has been mentioned above IObit Uninstaller or Revo Uninstaller will work well in getting rid of all traces of these programs.
This is a great suggestion, exterminator20! I will keep this tool around, thanks.

Reactions: frogboy
Upvote 0

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Not sure how HP sets up Cyberlink via pre-install, but
removing it from this ASUS notebook was easy until I saw
the remnants in registry (after a scan supposedly cleaned
it all up) and directories; deleted a lot more via manual
editing.

@Marin Eres: Cyberlink YouCam is a commercialized product but for HP laptops its integrated and that version is specialized to be free for use on such common functionality in webcam.

So probably goes same from PowerDVD and MediaSuite and it will not easily install on other laptop brands except HP.

Upvote 0

marzametal

Level 7
Verified
Jun 10, 2014
@Marin Eres: Cyberlink YouCam is a commercialized product but for HP laptops its integrated and that version is specialized to be free for use on such common functionality in webcam.

So probably goes same from PowerDVD and MediaSuite and it will not easily install on other laptop brands except HP.

@jamescv7 :
Cyberlink isn't tied to HP and HP only. The YouCam app, sure; only works for HP due to integration. But the rest can be used by other manufacturers. I highly doubt Cyberlink would hurt their own company by super gluing their product to one manufacturer. Talk about loss of profit...

ASUS had the Cyberlink suite pre-installed on this notebook, except camera app because ASUS has their own camera app (integrated). All up, I counted 5 Cyberlink apps installed as full versions, just waiting for registration (LabelPrint, MediaEspresso, Power2Go, PowerDirector, PowerDVD 10).

Reactions: jamescv7
Upvote 0

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Reactions: marzametal
Upvote 0
I

illumination

Of the ones listed in the original post, i would not remove. As @exterminator20 pointed out, cool sense helps adjust your fans to prevent over heating, HP support assistance not only helps you find system driver updates, but i believe is also where you can access your system recovery if something should go wrong. Simple pass is the software for your finger print reader.. Ect..

These are not generally considered bloatware, but utilities....

Upvote 0

nghethuatkd

Apr 9, 2015
Step 1: First of all. You need to root your Android.
How to root your Android with Kingo Android Root?

In order to remove bloatware, you need to gain root privilege, i.e. "superuser" permissions. Most carriers and manufactures strictly forbid users from gaining these privileges and rooting will immediately void warranty claim. Normally, rooted device should have SuperSU installed.
Step 2: [IMPORTANT] Make BACKUP of your device.
Titanium Backup is the most recommended app to back up your device before you start deleting system apps, which is risky and could cause serious trouble if you make a wrong move. So, most importantly, make backup.
Step 3: Install an app from Google Play Store.
Enter keywords like "remove system app" or "System app remover", you should get a lot of results. For example, "system app remover" developed by JUMOBILE.

Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.