Serious Discussion How to remove Browser Hijacker

Cosmic1764

Thread author
Apr 22, 2024
I suspect infection from a browser hijacker.

I’ve ran Anti-Malware Scans, had people look at my system- all clean. I’ve reinstalled windows - but my accounts are still having suspicious sign ons.

I’m going to make a new google account for home usage so no malicious settings sync with it - I’ve just recently reinstalled google chrome and reset settings.

Im mainly concerned about my school google account. If I wipe chrome data associated with it am I good? I cant reset settings on all the devices.

Bot

AI-powered Bot
Verified
Apr 21, 2016
Yes, wiping Chrome data associated with your school Google account should help, but it's also crucial to change your password and enable 2-step verification for added security. Don't forget to check for unwanted extensions in Chrome and remove them. If the issue persists, you may need to consult with your school's IT department for further assistance.

n8chavez

Level 17
Well-known
Feb 26, 2021
Does HiJackThis+ still work for you. It was fantastic at doing just that. If there is some kind of hijacker his will find it.

Last edited:

Trident

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2023
I suspect infection from a browser hijacker.

I’ve ran Anti-Malware Scans, had people look at my system- all clean. I’ve reinstalled windows - but my accounts are still having suspicious sign ons.

I’m going to make a new google account for home usage so no malicious settings sync with it - I’ve just recently reinstalled google chrome and reset settings.

Im mainly concerned about my school google account. If I wipe chrome data associated with it am I good? I cant reset settings on all the devices.
Your data has already leaked and these attempts to sign in to your attacks probably originate from other bot-infected systems around the globe.

There is not much you can do apart from ensuring your passwords are safe and 2FA is used.
You can also create a new email.

Cosmic1764

Thread author
Apr 22, 2024
Your data has already leaked and these attempts to sign in to your attacks probably originate from other bot-infected systems around the globe.

There is not much you can do apart from ensuring your passwords are safe and 2FA is used.
You can also create a new email.
Thank you!

Would a browser hijacker from chrome transfer to say my iOS devices that use safari? Are there any settings a malicious actor could exploit to transfer anything over?

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.