Hot Take Microsoft Edge is better than Google Chrome, but I can't bring myself to switch

vtqhtr413

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2017
If you’ve used Windows 10 or Windows 11 for any amount of time online, you’ve probably tried to download your favorite web browser at some point and seen the intrusive message from Windows reminding, cajoling, and otherwise pleading with you to reconsider that Google Chrome download and just give Microsoft Edge a chance. If you’re like me, you might have recoiled a bit by the pushiness but thought nothing of it and just cancelled out of the dialog box to continue your download in peace. I’m constantly reviewing new laptops, desktops, and other Windows-powered systems that all come preloaded with Windows Edge. Edge is very firmly set as your default browser. Having to change to default browser over to Google Chrome every time has led to hundreds of attempts by Microsoft to get me to stay, and each time I’ve clicked - each time I've switched to Google Chrome - I’ve gotten a little more determined that Chrome is the browser I want. I don’t want to keep having this conversation with my OS.

Sammo

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Jan 27, 2012
I find that Chrome uses less RAM and resources than Edge does now.
Chrome and Edge with just 4 tabs open. Both apps are the latest and Edge had sleeping tabs.
Chrome-Edge-1.jpg

vtqhtr413

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2017
People have strong opinions and biases about their chosen software and this writer is seemingly coming to terms with his own. I like the syncing that MS pulls off, that's the only reason I use Edge, I'm spoiled and lazy :)

Last edited:

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Neither Edge nor Chrome are the best Chromium-based browser. Firefox + FF Forks, Brave, Opera, Vivaldi offer more, or less, based on what you're looking for.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.