Guide | How To How To - Remove Old and Useless Drivers from your Software (With Screenshots)

The associated guide may contain user-generated or external content.

moonshine

Level 7
Thread author
Verified
Apr 19, 2011
Hello there guys, I've known this procedure for a long time already and I just want to share it to you guys just in case you still don't know how to do this, This procedure can possibly speed up your system and most of all can save you from those errors and BSODs. So without further adieu, Let's get started.

MAKE SURE TO CREATE A SYSTEM RESTORE POINT BEFORE DOING THIS. I'AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR THE DAMAGE THAT YOU WILL POSSIBLE CAUSE TO YOUR SYSTEM

Step 1- Go into your Start Menu and type "cmd" (Without the quotes) on the search bar, Right click it as Run as Administrator and Allow the UAC Prompt.

NP1I9.png

Step 2 - Once Command Prompt is running, type in "set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1" (Without the quotes) then hit Enter.

o9rbW.png

Step 3 - Once the command has been executed, type in "devmgmt.msc" (Without the quotes) then hit Enter, After executing this command, The Device Manager will be launched.

2OY5l.png

Step 4 - After Device Manager is launched, Click View and select Show Hidden Devices.

rbHtB.png

Step 5 - After doing the above procedure, Go into each section and uninstall the Drivers with Faded Icons, Make sure to look them up on Google so you won't end up removing needed drivers. The most important section to sort through is the Non-Plug and Play Drivers section as it is the section where most unneeded drivers from your old software are listed. Make sure to look them up on Google too. Next procedure is, Right Click on your selected unneeded driver then Select Uninstall the select OK to confirm. Do this to all the unneeded drivers then restart your system for the changes to take effect.

NW6Hp.png

I hope that my little tutorial helped you! Please hit the +Rep Button if you find my tutorial useful. To God be the Glory.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Actually I know the hidden drivers but never attempt to uninstall so with this case I might examine those old drivers.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.