Guide | How To How to Repair Corrupted and Damaged System files in Windows 7 and Vista

The associated guide may contain user-generated or external content.

Jack

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
If any of the Windows system files are missing or are corrupted, Windows may not behave as expected. For example, some Windows functions may not work, or Windows may crash.
Windows 7, like previous version, has an inbuilt tool called System File Checker tool (SFC.exe) which scans for missing or corrupted system files and repairs them. Using System File Checker tool (SFC.exe), you can determine which file is causing the issue, and then replace the file.

How to scan and repair system files :

1. Click the Start button
    4f6cbd09-148c-4dd8-b1f2-48f232a2fd33_818.jpg
    ,into the Search box type "cmd"
  2. When Command Prompt appears in the search results, Right click on it and select Run as Administrator

mUsmf.png

3. Now type the command SFC /SCANNOW and press enter.

gLNRS.png

4. The System File Checker will now check all the files that make up your copy of Windows and repair any it finds are corrupt.

6LOYt.png

Depending on your system, the scan can take up to 15-20 minutes. If the scan encountered system file errors and it fixed them, you will see a confirmation message just like in the screenshot below.

FXMT4.jpg

WARNING : Please note that if you have modified your system files in order to add custom themes to your operating system, running sfc /scannow will revert the system files such as explorer.exe back to it's default state.
Make the appropriate backups of your system files that you have modified for theming if you wish to save them before running sfc /scannow.

Related videos
Uploaded by thelongclimb on Jan 27, 2011

Last edited:

Jack

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
Yes it's a pretty basic 'how to' but not everyone knows this command.
I've run it today because I had some problems with the Windows Updates and to my surprise it manage to detect and fix some corrupted files. Needless to say that my problem with the Windows Updates is now solved.So I strongly recommend that you guys check your system files. :)

You can also just verify (without repairing)the integrity of your system files with System File Checker with this simple command :

Code:
sfc /verifyonly

Jack

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
Earth said:
In this case, what do you suggest?

uewc3.png

This article might be the solution to your problem :
http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/fix-for-error-windows-resource-protection-could-not-start-the-repair-service-when-running-sfc-in-vista/

mhartsellm

Mar 8, 2011
Thanks for posting this very beneficial thread, I've been wondering for some time why some of my homemade music cd's kept getting an error message and would not play and some did not. After running this repair tool, all now is well in the music cd world as it did find the system error and corrected it exactly as described in the screenshots :cool:

Reactions: Shadowclogger

Catie

Dec 21, 2013
I am definitely a "newby" and am trying to troubleshoot a problem I'm having. There is one website in particular that I'm trying to log into but I keep getting an error message... error 1226...has exceeded max connections. In trying to "google" the problem I've read that it may be a problem with my window's files. In an effort to fix my "damaged" files I found your thread. However, I never installed Windows on my computer as it was already uploaded when I bought my Acer. I have no disc to insert. One, is there another way to fix my "damaged" files? Two, is this error message in fact indicative of a problem with my computer or is it the website's problem? Please advise.

D

Deleted member 178

If the system was delivered in the computer you bought, you should have a factory restore hidden partition, that will restore Windows as if you just bought your computer; if my memory is good, for ACER it can be launched when you press alt+F10 during boot (you can google to check for your model).
Be sure to save important files before restoration

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
I am definitely a "newby" and am trying to troubleshoot a problem I'm having. There is one website in particular that I'm trying to log into but I keep getting an error message... error 1226...has exceeded max connections. In trying to "google" the problem I've read that it may be a problem with my window's files. In an effort to fix my "damaged" files I found your thread. However, I never installed Windows on my computer as it was already uploaded when I bought my Acer. I have no disc to insert. One, is there another way to fix my "damaged" files? Two, is this error message in fact indicative of a problem with my computer or is it the website's problem? Please advise.

Is it only 1 site that this error happens?
Can you post the website URL?
Is this your website?

This sounds more like a problem with a website/server.Usually a queries problem, this error results from too many calls to the database.There is usually a limit and once that is reached it will not allow a connection.It won't matter if you are the administrator or a regular member you will not be able to view the site.The administrator of the site has to change the settings.It is a very common error in sites with MySQL queries.

Before you do anything regarding your OS you should post the URL so somebody can check it out.If you don't want to post it here,then maybe send a private message to one of us who can verify if we get the same problem.If it happens on only one site in particular and not getting Windows error messages or issues with Windows running then it would be safe to assume it has nothing to do with your Operating System.

Depending on what you Google you are going to get different results.

kayleigh Goodrum

Mar 23, 2014
Please help me, I cant open internet explorer or download anything! got the message on the left when following the instructions above,

Thanks in advance!

upload_2014-3-23_17-39-48.png

jim lin

Level 8
Aug 6, 2012
hello Kayleigh Goodrum

and welcome to MalwareTips :)

make sure you are using a elevated command prompt (right click on CMD and run as Administrator)
and make sure you have a internet connection

this works with Windows 7 and newer
deployment image servicing and management tool

in the CMD prompt type
1." dism /online /cleanup-image /checkhealth " then hit enter and let it run

then in the CMD prompt type
2." dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth " then hit enter and let it run

now do a administrator command prompt-sfc /scannow and see if this works

this command should download and replace the corrupt files

i'm not sure it will help with internet explorer or downloading though

:)

James

Reactions: illumination

Shadowclogger

Level 1
Verified
May 31, 2014
Wow! What a bunch of great information! I need to start taking notes like, ten minutes ago! Okay, how does this compare to doing a check disc on C, where you go to "computer" and then "C", then go to properties -- open that, and schedule a disc check , to repair bad sectors (on system start start up?)

Also, if the scanner tries to fix anything, will it revert Vista's NTFS back to "Fat32"?

There be Newbie Here! **Holds hand up**

Shadowclogger

Level 1
Verified
May 31, 2014
Yes it's a pretty basic 'how to' but not everyone knows this command.
I've run it today because I had some problems with the Windows Updates and to my surprise it manage to detect and fix some corrupted files. Needless to say that my problem with the Windows Updates is now solved.So I strongly recommend that you guys check your system files. :)

You can also just verify (without repairing)the integrity of your system files with System File Checker with this simple command :

Code:
sfc /verifyonly

Jack -- speaking of Windows updates, did you get the last update that had so many bugs in it? where NOTHING in system would work? I opened task manager, and that wasn't responding, I had to do a system restore to May 22nd!

Shadowclogger

Level 1
Verified
May 31, 2014
If any of the Windows system files are missing or are corrupted, Windows may not behave as expected. For example, some Windows functions may not work, or Windows may crash.
Windows 7, like previous version, has an inbuilt tool called System File Checker tool (SFC.exe) which scans for missing or corrupted system files and repairs them. Using System File Checker tool (SFC.exe), you can determine which file is causing the issue, and then replace the file.

How to scan and repair system files :

1. Click the Start button
    4f6cbd09-148c-4dd8-b1f2-48f232a2fd33_818.jpg
    ,into the Search box type "cmd"
  2. When Command Prompt appears in the search results, Right click on it and select Run as Administrator

mUsmf.png

3. Now type the command SFC /SCANNOW and press enter.

gLNRS.png

4. The System File Checker will now check all the files that make up your copy of Windows and repair any it finds are corrupt.

6LOYt.png

Depending on your system, the scan can take up to 15-20 minutes. If the scan encountered system file errors and it fixed them, you will see a confirmation message just like in the screenshot below.

FXMT4.jpg

WARNING : Please note that if you have modified your system files in order to add custom themes to your operating system, running sfc /scannow will revert the system files such as explorer.exe back to it's default state.
Make the appropriate backups of your system files that you have modified for theming if you wish to save them before running sfc /scannow.

Related videos
Uploaded by thelongclimb on Jan 27, 2011

If one went and ran the scan... and things happened, would system restore be able to bring one to an earlier configuration? Yes, probably a stupid question, but I'd rather have it asked than unsaid. sorry.

nsm0220

Level 21
Verified
Sep 9, 2013
i notice that System File Checker will not Fix hal.dll at all because i had that happen to me a few times when hal.dll got corrupted on me i found a way to fix it which it was replacing it with one from an another Windows 7 64 bit HP or from backup then put a boot cd in your pc and then go where hal.dll is and replace it with the one you got from a back up you made or from another Windows 7 64 bit HP then you should be done with it and then restart the pc

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.