Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Simple.
  • Connect to Trusted networks only
  • Use a VPN on untrusted/public free WiFi (not needed for VM)
  • Always update the OS and any installed Apps
  • Avoid piracy of Paid Apps - you could get more than you bargained for.
  • Ubuntu has it's own App Store for getting software
  • Use a supported Modern browser - Firefox, Chromium or Chrome over third-party spin-offs
  • Limit the amount of browser extensions - check their permissions
  • Practice Safe browsing habits whilst on the web
Sharing files between Windows and Linux?
- Install an Antivirus on Windows
- Take the same precautions

LukeNukesEm

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Sep 14, 2016
Simple.
  • Connect to Trusted networks only
  • Use a VPN on untrusted/public free WiFi (not needed for VM)
  • Always update the OS and any installed Apps
  • Avoid piracy of Paid Apps - you could get more than you bargained for.
  • Ubuntu has it's own App Store for getting software
  • Use a supported Modern browser - Firefox, Chromium or Chrome over third-party spin-offs
  • Limit the amount of browser extensions - check their permissions
  • Practice Safe browsing habits whilst on the web
Sharing files between Windows and Linux?
- Install an Antivirus on Windows
- Take the same precautions
Are these steps going to secure ubuntu if I had it as my main os?

Reactions: KGBagent47
K

KGBagent47

My general security plan with my Lubuntu computer is don't run anything with sudo that didn't come from the Ubuntu store, phishing sites are just as dangerous on Linux as Windows, always update and like the guy said above don't connect to networks you don't know are secure. If you're worried about locking down the data on the system enable disk encryption, which is most easily done during the initial install.

motox781

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Apr 1, 2015
True, I guess I was asking what antivirus and firewall to use.

As far as I know, nothing. Linux is very secure out of the box. No need for an AV.

If you will be transferring files between Linux and Windows, I would add an AV. Can't remember the one I've used before.

You can turn the firewall on (off by default). But that is debatable too whether it is really necessary or not.

Reactions: LukeNukesEm

LukeNukesEm

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Sep 14, 2016
I will be browsing the deep web on my ubuntu laptop. I am guaranteed to run into deadly malware and other attacks. What do I do to put my ubuntu machine on lockdown? To make it even bulletproof.

S

Sr. Normal 2.0

Simply activate your firewall and create the necessary rules in it

in the terminal type:

sudo ufw status

Normally it is disabled, so the answer will be "Status: inactive" then for active it type:

sudo ufw enable

I recommend installing gufw to work with your firewall in graphical mode

sudo apt-get install gufw

That´s all. Simply and working conf.

I will be browsing the deep web on my ubuntu laptop. I am guaranteed to run into deadly malware and other attacks. What do I do to put my ubuntu machine on lockdown? To make it even bulletproof.

Check out AppArmor and Tails live distro.

No such thing as "bulletproof." It doesn't mean you can't take some risks, but it also means you shouldn't get bold and reckless. In other words, exercising "good judgement." Some would argue that visiting the Dark Web is a mistake\risk in the first place.

If you intend to simply take an occasional "look-see" on the Dark Web, then you should be fine.

If you are going to register at various hacker sites, do file shares, etc - well, then, that's an entirely different matter.

Last edited by a moderator:

LukeNukesEm

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Sep 14, 2016
Simply activate your firewall and create the necessary rules in it

in the terminal type:

sudo ufw status

Normally it is disabled, so the answer will be "Status: inactive" then for active it type:

sudo ufw enable

I recommend installing gufw to work with your firewall in graphical mode

sudo apt-get install gufw

That´s all. Simply and working conf.
I use the graphical firewall (ufw). Are you sure this will block all attacks?

Reactions: Sr. Normal 2.0

LukeNukesEm

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Sep 14, 2016
Check out AppArmor and Tails live distro.

No such thing as "bulletproof." It doesn't mean you can't take some risks, but it also means you shouldn't get bold and reckless. In other words, exercising "good judgement." Some would argue that visiting the Dark Web is a mistake\risk in the first place.

If you intend to simply take an occasional "look-see" on the Dark Web, then you should be fine.

If you are going to register at various hacker sites, do file shares, etc - well, then, that's an entirely different matter.
I checked out tails, the only problem I have is it's just for browsing the deep web. It's the equivalent of a chromebook for tor.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
@LukeNukesEm Thread Merged with existing topic created 7 days ago.

I have read most content on the Deep Web is harmless, with a smaller proportion related to illicit materials.

Not sure what you will find interesting on there, but let us know.

Reactions: Sr. Normal 2.0
S

Sr. Normal 2.0

I use the graphical firewall (ufw). Are you sure this will block all attacks?
No, it is impossible for a computer to be 100% protected both in linux and windows, but I have never had infections in my *ubuntus and I use virtual machines inside where I execute malware. I do not think sophos or another antivirus is a real improvement in this system

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
In Ubuntu and other Linux environment; infections are still minimal chance to infect as the focus of producers came on Windows based.

Although you are not safe for possible social engineering which must be hardened the browser and email client. *

* Add an adblocker and security siteadvisor/safety ratings addon

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.