Guide | How To [How to] Secure your Windows network

The associated guide may contain user-generated or external content.

OneDay

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 22, 2014
Hi to all! With this thread, I'd like to mention some simple steps you could follow to lessen the attack surface of your Windows network. Not all steps are best for everybody. This guide involves disabling some protocols that for some users may be necessary, so please, take caution. Let's begin!

Step one
Turn on your hardware (router) firewall if available.

Step two
Use WPA2 encryption (with AES).

Step three
Go to Control Panel\Network and Sharing Center\Local Area Connection\Properties and disable all protocols except Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4).
(Note: some third-party firewalls use their own drivers, so be careful not to disable it)

Step four
On the same window, click on Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) and then click Properties.
Click on Advanced in the General tab.
Go to the DNS tab and uncheck the 'Register this connection's addresses in DNS'.

Step five
On the same window, go to WINS tab and check the 'Disable NETBios over TCP/IP' setting.

Step six
Go to Device Manager, click on View and then check Show hidden devices.
Make sure in the Network section, that Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface, WAN Miniport (IPv6) and Microsoft ISATAP Adapter are disabled.

Step seven
On Non-Plug and Play Drivers, do the following:
Find NETBT and Remote Access IPv6 ARP Driver > right-click and go to Properties > go to the Driver tab > on Startup change the option to Disabled.

Step eight
Open the Command Manager (Run as administrator) and type the following command:
netsh interface ipv4 set global mldlevel=none
It disables the IGMP protocol.

Step nine
Disable the following services (via services.msc):
- Internet Connection Sharing
- Media Center Extender service
- Net. TCP port Sharing service
- Routing and Remote Access
- Universal Plug and Play Device Host
- SSDP Discovery Service

Step ten
Change your firewall profile to Public.

Restart your computer.

That's all, folks! Thanks for reading.

Disclaimer: review each step to make sure it won't render your computer unusable (no such chance, just a loss of internet connection). Undo the above one by one to find the culprit. Any suggestions are welcome!

Note: the following actions were performed in a Windows 7 32-bit system.

Last edited:

lovehungryman

Level 2
Verified
Jun 23, 2015
Everytime I cleaninstall Windows, this guide is one of the first steps I take to set up my pc. I wonder if anyone here at MT knows if there is a more updated version. Anyhow, thanks to whoever came up with this guide....

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.