Serious Discussion How to set it, or should I keep it as is?

Morro

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 8, 2012
Firstly, I hope I made this in the right forum, if not sorry. :(

Now to the reason for me making this thread. My IP provider Ziggo always told me that my Ubee modem did not have a Firewall that I could set myself. Well, guess what, I literally found out about 10 minutes ago that I freaking can do that. o_O:rolleyes:

Not sure if I have the guts to do it 01.png

Not sure if I have the guts to do it 02.png

At moments like this, I always get that way of thinking … OMG, what if I change things and it goes wrong. But usually I can get over that, it is just part of my process. :)

But my question is … should I keep the settings as they are now, (Like in the first picture.) or should I change some of the few settings I have there?

Kongo

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
Firstly, I hope I made this in the right forum, if not sorry. :(

Now to the reason for me making this thread. My IP provider Ziggo always told me that my Ubee modem did not have a Firewall that I could set myself. Well, guess what, I literally found out about 10 minutes ago that I freaking can do that. o_O:rolleyes:

View attachment 283231

View attachment 283232

At moments like this, I always get that way of thinking … OMG, what if I change things and it goes wrong. But usually I can get over that, it is just part of my process. :)

But my question is … should I keep the settings as they are now, (Like in the first picture.) or should I change some of the few settings I have there?
Well there is not necessarily much info on what changes if you put it from low to high, so I guess you have to find out by yourself. I mean you have a screenshot of the default settings, so you can always go back if you face any issues.

Morro

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 8, 2012
Well there is not necessarily much info on what changes if you put it from low to high, so I guess you have to find out by yourself. I mean you have a screenshot of the default settings, so you can always go back if you face any issues.

That is true, guess it is experimentation time then.

Mar 10, 2024
I would enable those 3 selections under that of blocking fragmented packets, ports scans and ip flood protection. I'm kinda surprised they are not by default. That's good protection for a router firewall to have set.

This is a glimpse of fragmented packet delivery.

Link

Last edited:

TairikuOkami

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
I would enable those 3 selections under that of blocking fragmented packets, ports scans and ip flood protection. I'm kinda surprised they are not by default.
They can block apps like torrent or even shared windows updates, chats on steam or multiplayer games, streaming, etc. It really depends, what kind of limit is set.

Morro

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 8, 2012
It's per use of the user, they would have to make that determination. Me personally I don't torrent or game, or use shared updates method, so I would have it enabled.

Well, I activated those three option you mentioned, and rebooted my PC. I do not use torrents either, but I do game, although I do not play multiplayer games. I guess I will have to wait and see if the games I play will have issues with those settings enabled or not. Furthermore, I also do not use shared updates. :)

Mar 10, 2024
Well, I activated those three option you mentioned, and rebooted my PC. I do not use torrents either, but I do game, although I do not play multiplayer games. I guess I will have to wait and see if the games I play will have issues with those settings enabled or not. Furthermore, I also do not use shared updates. :)
Packet fragmentation is a method used by hackers to avoid detection by Packet filters and Intrusion Detection Systems. It allows attackers to bypass firewall rules ect. Its an evasion technique.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.