Guide | How To How to setup Webroot SA alongside another Antivirus

The associated guide may contain user-generated or external content.
P

Plexx

Thread author
umbrapolaris said:
and when you type on google: "spyshelter comodo compatibility" my config is among the first results :p

Got you something:
Type ESET with Webroot and you get (PS: Ignore ESET with COMODO as I typed wrong by mistake):
75455676.jpg

Overkill

Level 31
Verified
Honorary Member
Feb 15, 2012
umbrapolaris said:
Thanks, if my config thread can help, i will be satisfied ^^

1-My "Download" folder is forced into Sandboxie, ( so everything running from it is isolated) with rights dropped.
2- Comodo Dragon is forced at start into a dedicated sandbox made for banking, right dropped, CD set as leader, CD restricted as the only apps allowed to reach internet and to run into this sandbox, (i emulate OAP banking mode ^^)
3- my DVD/CD drive is forced into its own sandbox, rights dropped.

i am planning to create a "malware testing" dedicated sandbox.

i am a beginner with Sandboxie, so i need some time to master it as i did for CIS ^^

btw, i trying to create another sandbox dedicated to µtorrent where the torrent file is downloaded with Icedragon then my torrent client start automatically to download the file to that folder (forced into a sandbox, if something inside is running). My issue is that it doesn't seems to work.

Could you share some screens of your settings in SBIE?
This is how I learn by seeing it :p

bitbizket

Level 3
Jul 26, 2011
Your Heuristics is very aggressive. It wouldn't be much difference with the detection results at a very high level. For most common use the default heuristic is adequate and safer. WSA has tendency to gives false positives during scanning and blocking so using a higher heuristics is not advisable.

Personally i have a very different setup than yours. I set them similarly like an anti-executable with more popups. The blocking is good with WSA especially with new malware and zero-days. WSA is very configurable which i like, but be aware of the false detection especially on system files.

Thanks

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
just drop the rights, forced some folders and browsers. nothing really exciting...yet ^^

Spirit

Level 2
May 17, 2012
Do One need Webroot SecureAnywhere along with your main antivirus ?
My answer will be Absolutely NO because you cannot think of if your main av miss the infection Wsa will catch it.
It either don't have special function like good hips or firewall for which you install it along with main av.
Its just waste of resource and make your computer slow down.

Yes you can use it as main av along with HMP and Mbam (I don't suggest to do so) as it will protect your system and your computer will be very light.

P

Plexx

Thread author
Stranger said:
Do One need Webroot SecureAnywhere along with your main antivirus ?
My answer will be Absolutely NO because you cannot think of if your main av miss the infection Wsa will catch it.
It either don't have special function like good hips or firewall for which you install it along with main av.
Its just waste of resource and make your computer slow down.

Yes you can use it as main av along with HMP and Mbam (I don't suggest to do so) as it will protect your system and your computer will be very light.

Try running MSE on its own and then do the same test with MSE with Webroot. You will have your question answered there.

Although ESET/CIS with Webroot is a bit pointless in a way, due to the main AV being decent, doesn't mean every infection not catch by the main AV won't be catched by Webroot.

In the case of MSE, it will be the perfect example.

Webroot still has good features:)

Nevertheless it is not a must to run Webroot, but the fact that can be ran as a companion AV it is a good approach.

Spirit

Level 2
May 17, 2012
Biozfear said:
Try running MSE on its own and then do the same test with MSE with Webroot. You will have your question answered there.

I should install Mse coz i can run webroot along side with it|
Didn't you find this quote funny or its just to prove that webroot is good companion av.

If a guy who can buy wsa ( remember its not free and its costly too) he defiantly put some money in buying some decent av or go with free avast/avira/cis.

P

Plexx

Thread author
Actually its both...
I know a few users who bought Webroot because someone recommended them to but then they still believe MSE is the best for gaming.... so they are running them both.
No joke...

Quite a few users I know actually get their AV's from PC magazines. And when those run out, they rather not fork out cash for another product because they have already paid for webroot and or need to save the cash to go out and get drunk (sad I know...)

Spirit

Level 2
May 17, 2012
You know that I myself is webroot fan but i am not in favor of it as companion as I used it with avast avira norton and kaspersky and trust me if they missed the sample webroot haven't detected the remaining .

P

Plexx

Thread author
Stranger said:
You know that I myself is webroot fan but i am not in favor of it as companion as I used it with avast avira norton and kaspersky and trust me if they missed the sample webroot haven't detected the remaining .

Yeah I know and I am in no way saying it is not pointless or it is pointless. I however appreciate that a solution could be run as a companion, although they still need to work on some issues.

I will soon finish testing the combo of ESET with Webroot on vm and then probably start the same old decision once again... One thing for sure, MSE is not stepping foot in.

Spirit

Level 2
May 17, 2012
i have a friend using Mse from 3 years with no infection on xp machine. neither he re installed or repaired his machine.
The main reason of infection is unsecured browsing.
No av is that bad in protection where it cannot protect its user but some have better protection

P

Plexx

Thread author
Yeah I know but it seems like a lot of gamers think MSE is the lightest. Now I am not sure if they are sure exactly what determines a light AV or if it is because they have nearly all game folders excluded to prevent drops in FPS, performance etc.

That is actually one recommended step if you use some solutions, at least for gamers. Of course it is not to say you exclude and that's it. You do your regular scans first to ensure its fine before you exclude.

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
Unknown said:
can anyone tell me how to run EAM with ESET with COMODO FIREWALL

check here : http://malwaretips.com/Thread-How-to-set-CIS-EAM-for-max-compatibility-security

and disable ESET HIPS

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
edited OP by adding feedbacks and corrections from Jim (Webroot Community leader)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.