Guide | How To How to slim Windows 10 and make it superfast

The associated guide may contain user-generated or external content.

bribon77

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 6, 2017
Thanks @BoraMurdar for this thread, I have marked it in favorites.
Of course W10 has too many things, which may be interesting for companies, but for a normal user with an old machine as in my case is too bloated.

Before seeing this thread I have been able to vary the RAM from 40/ 45% to 22% / 27% and up to 30%. For me it's still an exaggeration.:eek:

eltrkbrd

Aug 11, 2019
This is one of the best guides I've found for debloating my Windows 10 Pro installs. Besides Shutup10 which has become a staple for me after clean installs, I've never heard of the other tools recommended in this article.

I'm more interested in debloating on a clean install of W10x64 Pro. For this task, Spiceworks Windows 10 Decrapifier can be integrated during intial setup before any accounts are created (OOBE):
Post install, especially for existing installations suffering from bloatware, malware, etc Tronscript seems popular.
My only hesitation with all this (especially scripts that aren't easy to reverse the changes on) is the risk of future updates breaking things and also being over aggressive accidentally disabling basic functionality (for example IMAP email client, VoIP, video conferencing, etc).

I also considered homebrew ISOs narrowing it down to MSMG Toolkit, Win Tookit & Winreducer (I wasn't impressed by Winreducer's geocities interface & incessant ad nags). I decided against chopping up W10 Pro however because of the lack of really decent guides to simplify the entire process, how time consuming it is (would take days to learn & setup) and mostly the likelyhood of future updates breaking things in a chopped install.

In the end, LTSC 2019 won me over as the best of the three options (LTSC, Debloat, Homebrew) and for those not constantly upgrading hardware in say a desktop PC (I don't game) or wanting constant Windows Updates (no thanks, besides critical security updates) LTSC by far in my experience is the better option (and true sucessor to Windows 7 x64 Ultimate), especially for those with limited hardware resources (in my case 4GB RAM/32GB eMMC soldered onto motherboard).

Lastly, if not for those stuck on M$ say because of Office or Adobe products, Linux Mint Cinnamon runs like a dream for me with everything I need out of the box... Honestly, Windows 10 is the end of the line for me, especially now how the technocrats and neoliberals at M$ are moving full speed ahead towards their Windows as a Service... Microsoft aspires to be the world leader as a slavery cloud rental & planned obsolescence devices company.

Again, thanks for sharing!

Last edited:

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
I'm more interested in debloating on a clean install of W10x64 Pro. For this task, Spiceworks Windows 10 Decrapifier can be integrated during intial setup before any accounts are created (OOBE):
How to clean up a single Windows 10 machine/image using Decrapifier
Thanks for this, will try for sure.
Post install, especially for existing installations suffering from bloatware, malware, etc Tronscript seems popular.
bmrf/tron & r/TronScript
Every single time I tried (maybe 4-5 times) to download the tools it had some server errors and I just couldn't complete the task.

LTSC is by far the most stable and lightest Windows, but home users are not interested in it. So, it's still a rarity, in legal waters.

Linux is being better with every release but some drivers are troubling me. It's a subjective problem with Broadcom and my affinity with DAW software and obssesion with media player funcionality that glued me to Windows.
Maybe it will change in the future.

Also, Microsoft needs scan upon execution option in Windows Defender ASAP. It's a simple implementation but can hugely improve overall Windows performance and responsiveness.

Divine_Barakah

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 10, 2019
With all respect, please leave Windows alone. One does all types of tweaks and plays with "core" features and then complains a month later that the new windows upgrade failed for some reason, really?! I never tweaked Windows that much and it is running smooth and fast.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
With all respect, please leave Windows alone. One does all types of tweaks and plays with "core" features and then complains a month later that the new windows upgrade failed for some reason, really?! I never tweaked Windows that much and it is running smooth and fast.
Try and explain that to Paranoid users who strongly believe Microsoft is reading all their private user data when they see the word Telemetry, and from reading others' scare mongering posts into believing companies are all spying on their users.

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
Respect both-sided, you didn't read the first post and its notes minutely...

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Try and explain that to Paranoid users who strongly believe Microsoft is reading all their private user data when they see the word Telemetry, and from reading others' scare mongering posts into believing companies are all spying on their users.
yeah, it's not really for normal users. However, after applying these tweaks and some other tweaks not mentioned here, Windows can be twice as fast according to my experience with many PCs
our PC is fast but the tweaks simply makes it a lot faster
I don't have any problem with windows but the only thing causing problems is when I use NTlite to trim down windows ISO -> failed to update, unfixable

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
our PC is fast but the tweaks simply makes it a lot faster
Indeed, the best way is to check the number of Threads/Handles, the less, the better, obviously. I also like everything (CPU/Disk/RAM/Network) being calm at idle, no unnecessary activity, it is easy to find out then, if something does not belong, like malware, or just something causing issues.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 993

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
a month later that the new windows upgrade failed for some reason,

It's great to be able to successfully apply a lot of these tweaks, but it doesn't always pan out. I'd removed Edge.html with the Winaero tweak in this guide and today, I could not get KB4512508 installed, not even via the Update Catalog,. So I had to run a repair-install of Windows. This KB has some Edge-specific changes, and if Edge isn't there, well: Fail.

So yeah. Tweak at your own risk cuz v. 1903 is an unpredictable beast.

KarlssoN

Jul 11, 2020
Hi... thanks for the guide!

A win10 update just came out and the programs you mention above to use have gotten updated with new options and features. Could you do a updated guide to account for all these changes. I am trying to redo this guide and there is alot that is different so I'am confused and don't want to cause problems.

Thanks again!!!

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.