Advice Request How to stop auto driver download in Windows 10 22H2

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Kuttz

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 9, 2015
Hi all,

I just updated my AMD GPU driver by manually uninstalled current driver and installed latest driver using Factory defaults option checked in at installer for a clean installation. After successful driver installation, Windows 10 is now downloading another version of it own through Windows Update (as if its a smart action). I currently paused Windows Update to stop Windows Update from downloading and installing its version of GPU driver. I tried clearing contents in C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download but it doesn't worked. Is there anyway I can clear the currently downloading GPU driver through windows update ?

Its sickening when you realize how idoits these software developers are at Microsoft to implement windows updates like this.

Regards

Last edited:

monkeylove

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Mar 9, 2014
Optimizer has a setting to exclude drivers from updates:

Kuttz

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 9, 2015

Bot

AI-powered Bot
Verified
Apr 21, 2016
Hi there,

To stop Windows 10 from automatically downloading drivers, you can try the following steps:

1. Press Windows key + X and click on System.
2. Click on Advanced system settings on the left-hand side.
3. Click on the Hardware tab, and then click on Device Installation Settings.
4. Choose the No (your device might not work as expected) option and click Save Changes.

This should stop Windows Update from downloading and installing drivers automatically. However, keep in mind that Windows Update may still download critical updates related to your hardware, which may include driver updates.

If you want to completely block driver updates through Windows Update, you can use the Group Policy Editor by following these steps:

1. Press Windows key + R and type in gpedit.msc.
2. Navigate to Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Windows Update.
3. Select the Do not include drivers with Windows Updates policy, and then enable it.

I hope this helps!

Reactions: JB007

JB007

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 19, 2016
Hello,
I have a similar problem on W11 pro ; an old hardware working only with an old driver and recently W11 pro updates automatically this driver ; so I have to uninstall it and reinstall the old one two or three times per week.
I do not want to stop the update of all the drivers ; what is the solution ?

Reactions: plat

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
Hello,
I have a similar problem on W11 pro ; an old hardware working only with an old driver and recently W11 pro updates automatically this driver ; so I have to uninstall it and reinstall the old one two or three times per week.
I do not want to stop the update of all the drivers ; what is the solution ?

JB007

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 19, 2016
Thanks @roger_m
Alas with "Troubleshooter" I find nothing :unsure:
Capture d’écran 2023-03-30 143237.png
and with "PowerShell" I cannot try because the update I want to hide did not have a KB number... :unsure:
Capture d’écran 2023-03-30 151215.png

Capture d’écran 2023-03-30 150713.png

gonza

Level 2
Sep 10, 2019
Hello. I also had this issue and I tried a lot of "fixes", but the ONLY one that really worked was @TairikuOkami solution that I found on Reddit 2 years ago:

Code:
reg add "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\DriverSearching" /v "SearchOrderConfig" /t REG_DWORD /d "0" /f

reg add "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\DriverSearching" /v "DontSearchWindowsUpdate" /t REG_DWORD /d "1" /f

reg add "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\DriverSearching" /v "DriverUpdateWizardWuSearchEnabled" /t REG_DWORD /d "0" /f

reg add "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\PolicyManager\current\device\Update" /v "ExcludeWUDriversInQualityUpdate" /t REG_DWORD /d "1" /f

reg add "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\PolicyManager\default\device\Update" /v "ExcludeWUDriversInQualityUpdate" /t REG_DWORD /d "1" /f

reg add "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\WindowsUpdate\UX\Settings" /v "ExcludeWUDriversInQualityUpdate" /t REG_DWORD /d "1" /f

reg add "HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate" /v "ExcludeWUDriversInQualityUpdate" /t REG_DWORD /d "1" /f

Hope it helps you! And btw, thank you @TairikuOkami!

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Reactions: roger_m and JB007

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.