How to stop restoring last session in browsers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spirit

Level 2
Thread author
May 17, 2012
How to stop restoring last session in browsers?

If however computer shuts down and browsers didn't shut down manually,each time browser like chrome and firefox open the last open tabs and session.

In this case if somebody other starts computer he can see what sites did the last user visited.

Is there anyway that these browser didn't reopen last session in cash they shut down improperly/accidentally.

Thanks

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
For Firefox:

You may also wish to disable the Session Restore crash recovery feature which is enabled by default. This will prevent restoring a previous session when Firefox is opened after an unexpected close or software crash:

1. In the Location bar, type about:config and press Enter.
-The about:config "This might void your warranty!" warning page may appear. Click I'll be careful, I promise!, to continue to the about:config page.
2. In the Search box at the top, type browser.sessionstore.resume_from_crash.
3. In the resulting grid, double-click on browser.sessionstore.resume_from_crash to set it to false.

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/restore-previous-session

Google Chrome:

1. Go to chrome://flags/ in address bar.
2. Then click Enable on the link that writes: "Disable Better session restore"

Internet Explorer

1. Open Internet Explorer —> Tools —> Internet Options
OR
Go to start —> settings —> Control Panel —> Internet Options

2. Click on the ‘Advanced’ tab
3. Uncheck the option ‘Enable automatic crash recovery *’ in the section ‘Browsing’
4. Click on the ‘Apply’ button
5. Click on the ‘OK’ button

Enjoy!!:D

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Is this what your talking about?

Chrome:
7ews.png

Firefox:
6KTSsyb.png

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
For a workaround, see post by 'dangel666' here:
http://my.opera.com/community/forums/topic.dml?id=1708792

wannabyawatch

Jun 30, 2014
I know this thread is old, but it seems as though things have changed in Google chrome and was wondering if there is a way to stop the session restore in recent versions of the browser? Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.