How to to stop browser fingerprinting and tracking?

LDogg

Level 33
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 4, 2018
I would allow on the sites you use all the time. Default block on sites you hardly visit and unblocked scripts according, also make sure that all Canvas Fingerprinting in settings are turned off. Conflicts with CanvasBlocker/Defender.

When testing I found this to be very effective.

~LDogg

dJim

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Mar 12, 2016
im for ral use Noscript + some others extension´s not bcs privacy we all know thats imposible.. it´s just bcs i dont wanna give some data to many webs i visit then they can make money via my data..

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
I would allow on the sites you use all the time. Default block on sites you hardly visit and unblocked scripts according, also make sure that all Canvas Fingerprinting in settings are turned off. Conflicts with CanvasBlocker/Defender.

When testing I found this to be very effective.

~LDogg
Yeah im gonna run it default settings, trusting sites i usually visit and let privacy possum do work on those sites. I keep canvas fingerprint blocked because javascript is turned off by default on every unknown site i visit. Can just run virustotal on those sites before deciding to accept or not.

Tunnelbear is good opinion, but it seems to be bit buggy since even i turn it off on somesites it wont turn off at all. Last update were year ago so..

I think scriptsafe also is better than webAPI for my habits

Reactions: oldschool

LDogg

Level 33
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 4, 2018
Fair enough, @Moonhorse if you feel this setup is better for your habits, best to keep what you know. Definitely keep ScriptSafe as stated! Use as per site basis on ones you don't use hardly.

~LDogg

Terry Ganzi

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2014
Yeah im gonna run it default settings, trusting sites i usually visit and let privacy possum do work on those sites. I keep canvas fingerprint blocked because javascript is turned off by default on every unknown site i visit. Can just run virustotal on those sites before deciding to accept or not.

Tunnelbear is good opinion, but it seems to be bit buggy since even i turn it off on somesites it wont turn off at all. Last update were year ago so..

I think scriptsafe also is better than webAPI for my habits

I think that is where your misunderstanding of scriptsafe & WebApi Manager comes in to play they serve different purposes.

Reactions: Moonhorse and LDogg

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
Fair enough, @Moonhorse if you feel this setup is better for your habits, best to keep what you know. Definitely keep ScriptSafe as stated! Use as per site basis on ones you don't use hardly.

~LDogg
I cant see canvas blocker blocking browserleak at all . It find fingerprints on sites but i dont see it blocking them at all

LDogg

Level 33
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 4, 2018
It sets up an obfuscated hash noise. You are not mean't to block Canvas Fingerprinting out right. That itself is a Fingerprinting tracking method.

~LDogg

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
I think that is where your misunderstanding of scriptsafe & WebApi Manager comes in to play they serve different purposes.
Lol im so confused, theres so much to learn. I would just go nanoblocker + tunnelbear for easiest solution, but the problem is just that tunnelbear blocks flash client and i cant get it to run. Even i turn tunnelbear off on that site/ completely the bug still appears. Im trying to get other as good extension.. but webapi / scriptsafe seems to bit tricky for me

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
It sets up an obfuscated hash noise. You are not mean't to block Canvas Fingerprinting out right. That itself is a Fingerprinting tracking method.

~LDogg
Is there any way to see its really working, when its doing its work? Or it is just that popup on screen that it found fingerprint from that site and everything is okay? Like install + forget

Reactions: oldschool

LDogg

Level 33
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 4, 2018
Install + forget. They both work. Tested myself. Look at the uniquness of the fingerprint when testing on browserleaks.com

~LDogg

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
Install + forget. They both work. Tested myself. Look at the uniquness of the fingerprint when testing on browserleaks.com

~LDogg
Thanks man, seems to be best solution. since tunnelbear+ privacy possum block those domains completely from running and only privacy possum had option to let it run without blocking

LDogg

Level 33
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 4, 2018
Also you could look at Netcraft as an extension too. Very good at detecting PUP sites and XSS attempts.

~LDogg

Reactions: lowdetection

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
Also you could look at Netcraft as an extension too. Very good at detecting PUP sites and XSS attempts.

~LDogg
breaking news. The site im talking about...notices canvas defender, and wont let me in.
Maybe i just use secondary browser for that

Yellowing

Level 5
Verified
Jun 7, 2018
@Moonhorse I recently changed this setting in ScriptSafe: Respect Same-Domain to Strict- Allow same domain only. Because I found myself confronted with almost every page not working until I allowed the "same domain" in ScriptSafe. I was getting fed up with it and I don't think this new setting will have any effect on privacy/security in my setup.

Canvas Defender also has a whitelist in it. Add the page if necessary.

Reactions: Moonhorse

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
@Moonhorse I recently changed this setting in ScriptSafe: Respect Same-Domain to Strict- Allow same domain only. Because I found myself confronted with almost every page not working until I allowed the "same domain" in ScriptSafe. I was getting fed up with it and I don't think this new setting will have any effect on privacy/security in my setup.

Canvas Defender also has a whitelist in it. Add the page if necessary.
Yeah thats annoying, good tip

Reactions: Yellowing

Kubla

Level 8
Verified
Jan 22, 2017
FYI: I came across this app for browser fingerprinting protection, Kameleo it is a spoofer, it looks pretty good but $$$

Yellowing

Level 5
Verified
Jun 7, 2018
I wonder how good that works when everyone starts using the new cross-platform and cross-browser (If that isn't the same) fingerprinting. :(

Sunshine-boy

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2017
After searching a lot, I found There is no real Fingerprinting Protection! it's a big lie to fool us:emoji_innocent:
Read this PDF:
https://www.ucl.ac.uk/~ucfamus/papers/icwsm18.pdf
I think the same trick, methods can be done for the browser! don't waste your time fighting smth that you don't know how it works( There are things that we don't know about them) :emoji_innocent:

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
WebAPI Manager, Tunnelbear Blocker, Scriptsafe or Defender used with Canvas Defender or Blocker should work fine. Passed the fingerprint test for me on Browserleaks.

~LDogg
Except for CanvasBlocker (for FF) do the rest of the fingerprint blockers passed the test of preventing the original fingerprint from being exposed? Test is below

Test

Reactions: Weebarra

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.