Solved How to update my BIOS

Status
Not open for further replies.

ImtheBest

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Oct 6, 2013
I want to know how to update my BIOS please. Do to a fix i see that my fix the problem i'm having with dual booting and other shutdown restarting problems when in 2 HDD drives

I do not have a pendrive right now but was looking at that this is a better way

KaptainBug

Level 12
Verified
Dec 26, 2013
Download the bios update from your computer manufacturer website(usually available in driver update section). Plug in your system and execute the file. This is how I updated mine. No problems. During the process cpu fan runs crazy and thats normal.

Upvote 0

cruelsister

Level 42
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
What is the brand of motherboard (and what model)? Reason I ask is that if you have a MSI board using their updater is not the best idea.

Reactions: ImtheBest
Upvote 0

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
Yes only get BIOS updates from your computer manufacturer website or motherboard manufacturer website (if custom built).
Don't download from any other sources and avoid BIOS update scams. If you manufacturer website does not have a BIOS update then you don't need to update it. It is not uncommon for BIOS firmware to be several years old. Some manufacturers never have BIOS updates for certain systems, you just use the version that came with your computer when you bought it. If you manufacture does have a BIOS update, they will provide instructions on how to update it, every system is different. Some require manual installation and others provide a tool that does everything for you.

Thanks. :D

Upvote 0

ImtheBest

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Oct 6, 2013
Thanks guys for your help. Sorry thought i posted the link to my motherboard http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3759#bios

Mine is at F2 Version, only reseaso i wanted to update it because of shutdown restart issues when trying to load another drive in dual boot. As i see there is a fix. F8 version 1 Improve Dual BIOS compatibility. Can i start from there or do i have to go in order F2 F3 F4 F5 F6 so on

thank u guys for all your help again

Upvote 0

cruelsister

Level 42
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
The newest version of a BIOS will always have all the previous version updates coded into it; so you can go from say F4 to F8 without issue.

Gigagbyte a number of Flashing tools. Probably the best one to use is that which is already built-in to your board, Q-Flash.

1). First off, get a USB stick that is formatted to FAT32.
2). Download the BIOS from Gigabyte and save to the USB stick.
3). View Parts 1 and 2 of this video! Although the motherboard is different, the way to use Q-flash is the same.
part 1
part 2

4). If you tweaked any settings, you will have to re-enter them on the newly flashed BIOS, so if this is the case make a note of any changes you made previously.

5). Now flash your BIOS!

6). MOST IMPORTANT!!!!!!!! Let us know how it went.

(Note this- Gigabyte is very cool in that there is an easy way to get back to your old BIOS in case of a Flash failure. This is what would be done (don't worry, you won't need this info):

1. Shut off the power supply using the switch on the back of the PSU, wait 10-15 seconds.
2. Press and hold the case Power On switch, then while still holding turn on the power supply from the switch on the rear.
3. Still holding the case power on switch, the board will start, once it does release the case power on switch and shut off the power supply via the switch on the rear of the unit. (Do the latter two parts as quickly as you can once the board starts)
4. The board will shut down.
5. Turn the power supply back on using the switch on the rear of the unit.
6. Turn on the motherboard by pressing the case power on button.

Once the board starts this time you should see the Gigabyte splash screen, or POST page, then the Auto-Recovery from Dual BIOS will kick in. You will see a checksum error, and then recovery from BACKUP BIOS will begin. Once it is done reboot your machine and enter the BIOS and load optimized defaults then save/apply/reboot back to BIOS.

Now you are done, and will be using whatever BIOS was in your BACKUP BIOS, From there you can attempt whatever you were previously trying, or update your BIOS to the latest version.)

Upvote 0

ImtheBest

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Oct 6, 2013
The newest version of a BIOS will always have all the previous version updates coded into it; so you can go from say F4 to F8 without issue.
I'm only on the First version F2

Also i don't have a USB drive right now but its on its way. One question when USB drive is formatted in FAT32 to update the BIOS how do we get it back to factory settings from when it first came. This stick is on its way can't wait for it http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0068INUOQ/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Could i just use the exe file from Windows

Upvote 0

ImtheBest

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Oct 6, 2013
Mine is Windows 8.1 Pro x64. but i don't see why that would matter. Because the New one is for Windows 8.1 x64 (Intel Series 8 broads) But i don't have that broad type. so little cunfused why they didn't put it in there as Windows 8.1 is still listed for the broad type

Upvote 0

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
Is your system custom built or OEM?
If it is OEM for example HP, Dell, Acer, Lenovo, Samsung, Toshiba, etc.
You need to go to their support site to get your BIOS updates.

Motherboard manufacture site usually only applies to custom built systems, the BIOS can be completely different if OEM.

Enjoy!! :D

Upvote 0

ImtheBest

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Oct 6, 2013
I'm sorry Littlebits my PC is Custom built >Thanks for helping< yes i know i have to go to Motherboard manufacture from http://www.gigabyte.com

Waiting for response from cruelsister i think he has me taking car of and know what I'm talking about

Sorry its hard for me to tell u easier for me to show u if u where here:(

I'm sorry i can tell u i kn ow what BIOS i need its just ON how to install it. I want to use the @BIOS utility from them but my system is Windows 8.1 x64 and the only one i see from them that has that is the (Intel Series 8) which is newer broad sockets then what i have

And i don't have a pen drive to use right now. but i did order one so its on its way. But one thing i want to know is after u format it to FAT32 for updating BIOS how do u restore the pen drive back to factory settings also i would like to know that

Thank u Guys for your help at MT

Last edited:
Upvote 0

cruelsister

Level 42
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
I think I confused the issue a little bit, please forgive me. To flash a Gigabyte motherboard BIOS you can proceed in a few ways. You can use Q-BIOS: here you would need a flash drive in order to do it. However Gigabyte also provides a pathway with @BIOS- with this you have to download and install @BIOS from their utility page for you motherboard:

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3759&dl=1#utility

(as you have a series 6 motherboard this is the correct version for you).

So first install @BIOS, then download your firmware from here: http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3759&dl=1#bios

Now unzip it and save the BIOS file to somewhere on your Desktop (or some folder).

After this is done just run the @BIOS application and point it to the saved firmware file like they did on the @BIOS video in the previous post. I've contacted a few folks with Gigabyte motherboards and most have used the Windows based @BIOS method without any issues,

Also, not that you have to do this, but in order to format a pendrive to various file system methods, just plug in the pendrive, open up Windows Explorer and right click on the pendrive drive letter. You will see FORMAT on the menu- click on this and you will see a File System entry. click on the drop down for that to see the options available to you.

Finally, it's SHE and not HE. ;)

Good Luck and please let us know how it is proceeding!

Last edited:
Reactions: ImtheBest
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.