Advice Request How to upload files from local harddrive to one drive without duplication of the files?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Brahman

Level 16
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 22, 2013
I have a business one drive and I want to upload around 3TB of my data to business one drive ( share point). I was using by browser to upload data but the upload speed never crosses 12MB per second ( i found that the one drive server it uses resides in Singapore, it should have been using a server in India but instead it automatically choose Singapore). If I use the windows one drive client I can get upload speeds of 24MBps ( 200 Mbps connection) but it will create duplicate files which I don't want to happen. The 3TB of data is on an external harddrive and I don't have enough space to copy all those data to my local Hard drive. How can I tackle this? Is there a way to get full upload speeds while using the browser? Thanks in advance....

Untitled-1.jpg

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
Yeah this should be possible to fix and handle. You need to setup the Onedrive client. If set correctly along with shared folders you don't need to fiddle with your browser as just as you noticed, it risk impact negative on transfer speed. Everything should work from Windows explorer.

These parts might take a little while and personal I can't do it here and now as I have to sit at a system with Onedrive so I can give you correct instructions. I'm on my phone right now, but maybe someone else that feel comfortable enough can give it a try.

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
Normally I would do this either local or remote on a machine/system. It's way easier and faster, extra if one solution for some reason would not work so please keep that in mind as what I try to advise here might very well fail and not work in your case. Lets try anyway a few basic options and hopefully I don't miss some part/s. 🤞

Try this first. I did the same on my own system after some odd errors, and saw that Microsoft had updated the client and added some more and better options and features. The client has previous been pretty clunky. It still have parts that needs improvements, but I know the developers works on it.

Uninstall Onedrive on your local machine. Download Onedrive and install it.

Follow the guide!

The first window should ask/prompt you for the email adress. Use your business mail.
b2cd13c5-7d45-4203-b09c-26a8780e589f.png

The second window in the guide will show you the local default folder. Change that path/location to a new folder on your external harddrive.
dbe71ebb-2728-45c1-9de6-00682f68abfa.png

The information about the files status information ( 3 symbols/icons ), is very important because it's this that will help you set and understand the access correct. By default, the files is set to show as " Available when Online " in your external harddrive. It's that first blue " empty " cloud icon.
fdd54453-2203-40c3-81b0-13806dafe026.png

When this guide is complete, simply open the folder in your external drive and see how it looks. Hopefully you see a folder structure along with some files ( the same as you would see if you open Onedrive online ), but all those should not take up any space at all on your external drive, unless you manually choose. Right click the folder and check it's properties to see the correct size on disc information.

Before you start try transfer any files, please open the Onedrive clients settings. Check in the Tab " Network ". That should be set to " Don't limit ", just to make sure on the basics.
47bb7220-4668-47c7-9e98-1578af40688e.png

The last part, is under the Tab " Office ". It should by default already been set correct to avoid create duplicate files. " Sync conflicts ". This is how it should look like:
c90cf228-c27e-4107-b4cf-2c0690a959a4.png

Start try drag and drop or copy and paste one or two files on your external harddrive, in to that other new folder on your external harddrive that if setup correct should be the one that now has the connection to your online Onedrive. Depending on what access, network speed and how much disc space you actually have online etc, this should now work.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.