Advice Request How to use BitDefender 2019 as a default-deny solution

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

RoboMan

Level 34
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
I have been playing with BitDefender Total Security for the past days and I found its modules to be a very interesting piece of work.

If you head to "Safe Files" module you will see there are two options: Protected Folders and Application Access.

2018-10-28 14_02_47-Bitdefender Security Center.png

Protected Folders works as an anti-ransomware protection component, denying modification on the specified folders.
Application Access allows whitelistening programs that will be able to perform such modifications.

Testing such components went great, no visible issues. So I took it a step further and added AppData and ProgramData folders to Protected Folders component, in order to deny any modification, payload drops, etc.

And it worked great! Everything on such folders was getting denied permissions. Of course, this is a double shape tool, so many regular programs I used were stuck without being able to open. But it's possible to default deny everything.

Now anybody has any idea or tip on how to make this work better? What to include and what to exclude? Trying to make it work so I can also use it as an anti-executable :)

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
You can't do anything like that. Just use bd with a default deny software if you need the detection module or just use the default deny tool.

PS. Might want to disable ssl scan if you want to use tls 1.3 instead of 1.2

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.