Guide | How To How to use "Task View" for managing virtual desktops on Windows 10

The associated guide may contain user-generated or external content.

DracusNarcrym

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 16, 2015
INTRODUCTION

Virtual desktops are extensions of a desktop environment, beyond the limits of a physical screen.

Take for example, a cube, and each side of the cube is a different desktop, on which the user can focus by rotating that cube.

The concept of that cube is employed in virtual desktops, however virtual desktops are not limited to a small number, as in the four edges of a cube, but are essentially limitless.

Among the various new features that were implemented in Windows 10, one that was rather overlooked by users was the ironically much-anticipated native virtual desktops system, which is referred to as Task View.

Task View allows Windows 10 users to manage (create, switch to, or remove) a number of virtual desktops, each desktop containing the user interfaces of different running applications, thus facilitating the optimal management and organization of a production desktop environment, or even basic home user tasks.

Example: Virtual desktop 01 contains the user interfaces of Microsoft Office, Outlook and Windows Defender, while Virtual Desktop 02 houses the user interfaces of Adobe Photoshop and Autodesk 3ds Max.

UTILIZING TASK VIEW

There are many ways to access the task view feature.

• Task View can be accessed by using the key combination [Windows Key
    0JMVWtf.png
    ] + [Tab Key] on your keyboard.
  • Task View can also be accessed by pressing the Task View button on the taskbar:
    2aKV5sb.png

• If you do not see that button, then right-click in the empty area of your taskbar and then click Show Task View Button

Once you open the Task View interface, you will be greeted with something like this (image below is partial screenshot):
xIvs402.png

Click the New desktop in the lower right corner of the screen to create a new virtual desktop (image below is partial screenshot):
vHII8cr.png

To switch from desktop to destkop, open Task View and click on the desktop you want to enter (image below is partial screenshot):
v5CmOTE.png

Each desktop contains the user inferfaces of the applications that were originally opened in that desktop.

This way, Task View allows users to organize the user interfaces of applications running on their computer to facilitate a smoother workflow and thus increase productivity.

If you have Windows 10, give it a try, you might like it.

Virtual desktops are supported by other operating systems as well, such as most major Linux distributions. (e.g. Ubuntu, Linux Mint, and others)

If you have previous versions of Windows and you wish to use virtual desktops, here are some free software that you can use for achieving this purpose:
If you have any feedback or questions, send me a PM or post a message in this thread.

Hope you enjoyed this guide. :p

Last edited:

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Honestly when I read an article posted on other thread here, the 'Snap' feature is interesting at all since I'm doing complicated things where an ability to split the desktop for better task operation.

Other than that Windows 10 task view even tough late on implementation, generally helpful on the other hand.

Reactions: DracusNarcrym

DracusNarcrym

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 16, 2015
Honestly when I read an article posted on other thread here, the 'Snap' feature is interesting at all since I'm doing complicated things where an ability to split the desktop for better task operation.

Other than that Windows 10 task view even tough late on implementation, generally helpful on the other hand.
I was inspired to write this guide from a previous thread, but, in retrospect, I believe I should have included all these window managing functions and not just Task View... :p

Soulbound

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
I was inspired to write this guide from a previous thread, but, in retrospect, I believe I should have included all these window managing functions and not just Task View... :p
Virtual Desktops were not present in previous incarnations of Windows, while windows snap feature were.

Virtual Desktops is very handy for single screen users, such as laptops. I myself use it constanstly as I do run my games in Windows borderless mode, have other applications opened and do not like the clutter.

On linux, every desktop environment has such feature (KDE, Unity, LXDE, LXQT, XFCE, Gnome 3, MATE, Cinnamon). For window managers, Open Box with Tint Panel combo/Open Box with LXpanel/Open Box with XFCE Panel/FluxBox/i3 window manager/Awesome window manager all have this function.

Old NIDIA users from XP era who had nVIEW software installed also had a tool from NVIDIA who gave virtual desktops (tho later reincarnations were only available in the QUATTRO cards).

On a side note, it is interesting to see the poll results. I expected the 3rd option to be higher, not the 2nd one.

DracusNarcrym

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 16, 2015
On a side note, it is interesting to see the poll results. I expected the 3rd option to be higher, not the 2nd one.
I, for one, expected far more votes in the second option than any other option. :D
(even more than there currently are)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.