Solved How to watch .avi movies on Samsung TV ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MindaugasJ

Level 2
Thread author
May 25, 2022
Just bought brand new Samsung QE50Q60CAUXXH TV and got one problem. I can't watch .avi files from my USB device. On Samsung supported files (manual in TV) is written that .avi files is supported, but when I try to watch, I've got error that this format is not supported. Is there any ways that I can solve this problem? Maybe is there any Media player app for Samsung TV? Or is there any ways of watching without reformatting movie file?

partha_roy

Level 3
Well-known
Oct 16, 2022
Could be an issue with the way it was encoded; I would suggest you to convert the file into a playable format like MP4 via a software like HandBrake if it's playable on your laptop/PC

Reactions: [correlate]
Upvote 0

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Is this a Samsung 2023 UHD TV model?

Samsung TV’s run on Tizen OS, the 2023 models run Tizen 7.0.

VLC video player dropped support for Tizen a while back.

Try FFmpeg to convert formats

Upvote 0

MindaugasJ

Level 2
Thread author
May 25, 2022
Searched all forums but can't find how to install VLC on Tizen :(
Convert format also takes too much time... For example 45 minutes video takes about 30 minutes to format... :/ is there any ideas with other media players?

Upvote 0

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Convert format also takes too much time... For example 45 minutes video takes about 30 minutes to format... :/ is there any ideas with other media players?
Tizen OS is linux-based. Some other TV manufacturers use Android, which can be open to more Apps.

Have you tried plugging in your PC/Laptop to your TV over HDMI?

Upvote 0

CyberTech

Level 44
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 10, 2017
Have you tried different type as Mp4/others? for test

Upvote 0

Brahman

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 22, 2013
Just bought brand new Samsung QE50Q60CAUXXH TV and got one problem. I can't watch .avi files from my USB device. On Samsung supported files (manual in TV) is written that .avi files is supported, but when I try to watch, I've got error that this format is not supported. Is there any ways that I can solve this problem? Maybe is there any Media player app for Samsung TV? Or is there any ways of watching without reformatting movie file?
If the file format is not natively supported in Tizen, then you are out of luck, as there is no VLC support in Tizen. Linux kernel does not support codecs and its upto the maintainer to add support for H264 and H265 codecs, Samsung must have added codec support for H264 but I doubt they have added support for H265, check whether your file is encoded with H265 ( you can do it by playing it in vlc and going to Tools>Codec Information).

Upvote 0

brambedkar59

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
AVI & MP4 are just containers (think them of like a box), they support many video/audio codecs eg. H.264, H.265, mp3, aac, etc). TV has to support both container and the codecs used inside the container.

Only option is to re-encode the files with both supported container and codecs. Check Samsung's support page for what your TV support.

Edit: Link added

Last edited:
  • Applause
Reactions: roger_m and Brahman
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.