Advice Request How vulnerable is Internet Explorer?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Winter Soldier

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
Internet Explorer has been "retired", however, Microsoft has still left it inside Windows 10 to be used in special cases. For example, for some applications, mainly developed for the business areas and optimized exclusively for the old browser that, therefore, it is still critical to their operation.
But I might use it only under SB.:D

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
How risky is it to use Internet Explorer is 2017? How does it compare to other browsers in terms of security?

Thanks.
Use the latest available version, but Edge is their current browser. Internet Explorer is still used, but in comparison Chrome for Home/Work is better.

I personally have IE uninstalled on Windows 10.

Winter Soldier

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
Use the latest available version, but Edge is their current browser. Internet Explorer is still used, but in comparison Chrome for Home/Work is better.

I personally have IE uninstalled on Windows 10.
@Spawn, have you uninstalled Internet Explorer by going to the utility of adding and removing Windows features?

XhenEd

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 1, 2014
I have IE installed just in case something happens with my primary browser so I can download installation package. :D
For users of other browsers, that's the primary purpose of IE. The use of MS Edge also follows this purpose. :D

Anyway, I also believe that IE is more vulnerable than other mainstream browsers, including Edge. As much as possible, it shouldn't be used. But of course, exceptions should be made for those companies, especially low-income companies, that still use IE, just as what @Winter Soldier stated.

W

Wave

Thread author
In terms of malware development it's one of the easiest targets to make a password stealer or the such, in terms of browsing it still has SmartScreen implementation.. but modern browsers like MS Edge, Chrome, Opera and FF are more secure

Thread author
It amazes me that Internet Explorer will soon be deprecated, but so many security and related softs still utilize Internet Explorer - even when the user has set another browser as the system default browser.

So much for staying on top of it...

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.