Level 8
Thread author
Verified
Jul 24, 2018
Briefly explain your current issue(s)
Recommended BIOS update
Steps taken to resolve, but have been unsuccessful
Nothing
Hello! I have received a notification form HP Assistant indicating that there's a new "Recommended" BIOS update.
Capture.PNG

The update is for HP 280 G3 MT which is different from my PC (290 G1 MT). Should I update?

Reactions: Jack

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
Wished I saw the post before flashing. Any way the process finished successfully.
You only need to update to the latest BIOS version. You don't need to install previous versions, as when you update the BIOS, the whole BIOS gets overwritten, so a new update will include the features of the previous updates. They are not incremental updates.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
F

ForgottenSeer 58943

As I said, I do have a good bit of experience with HP bios updates. (over many many hundreds of systems) I do not advise skipping major revisions and going to the top *IF* your machine is significantly behind. HP is very well known to not provide a single all encompassing update, we like to path HP through the updates. I've seen countless issues over and over with skipping to the latest. However if your machine is say within the same 'year' of the current bios, it's probably fine to skip and move to the latest. My issues over the years relate to bios that is way behind.

Anyway, all of this is painless. HP provides an executable for each version. Download and run it. Once the system is rebooted, download the next one and run it. Very simple. I don't recommend the HP 'tool' because often it doesn't report correctly. Just go to their website and download the revisions, step through them and walk away.

HP 290 G1 Microtower PC - Driver Downloads | HP® Customer Support

Upvote 0

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
HP is very well known to not provide a single all encompassing update, we like to path HP through the updates. I've seen countless issues over and over with skipping to the latest.
When updating the BIOS, on HPs, or any other computer, I've always only installed the latest BIOS update and will continue to do that. This is the first time I've heard of incremental BIOS updates. I did a quick Google search and could find absolutely no mention of HP BIOS updates being incremental. But there was a post on HPs support forums, in reply to someone, saying that you don't have to incremental updates.

Upvote 0

AriDfoix

Level 3
Verified
Sep 2, 2018
I think ForgottenSeer 58943 has a more expanded experience about hardware than anyone else here, where I have dealt with less that 15 PC and laptops in all my life, he can easily have dealt with over thousands different systems, I will listen to him ^^

Upvote 0
L

Local Host

Wished I saw the post before flashing. Any way the process finished successfully.
HP Assistant recommended the latest update. I have successfully updated the BIOS. After restart, HP Assistant notified about "System Firmware Update" What is that?

Firmware
Version:
11.8.55.3510 Rev.A
Fix and enhancements:
Intel ME Security Update
Released a month ago
That is a Security Update for your CPU, you should install it.
Don't over complicate this.

Just type System Information, get your current bios version. Go to the DOWNLOAD part of the website and download each version, upgrade, rinse and repeat. Do it manually, with each major revision just to be sure.
You're the only one complicating what is extremely easy to do in 2018, he got the option to do it automatically with one click, and you want him to install all the updates manually.
When updating the BIOS, on HPs, or any other computer, I've always only installed the latest BIOS update and will continue to do that. This is the first time I've heard of incremental BIOS updates. I did a quick Google search and could find absolutely no mention of HP BIOS updates being incremental. But there was a post on HPs support forums, in reply to someone, saying that you don't have to incremental updates.
Of course you don't have to do incremental updates, most manufactures don't even supply the older updates by default, and won't cause any issues to install the latest one (as it includes the whole package).
BIOS updates don't use xDelta and doing incremental updates achieves nothing besides wasting time.
I think ForgottenSeer 58943 has a more expanded experience about hardware than anyone else here, where I have dealt with less that 15 PC and laptops in all my life, he can easily have dealt with over thousands different systems, I will listen to him ^^
I feel offended... But no comment.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Al-Faqir

Level 8
Thread author
Verified
Jul 24, 2018
@ForgottenSeer 58943 The Version of Bios was late 2017 (I guess November). I have installed the latest version using HP Assistant and everything is OK. I do trust your experience and, honestly, I do enjoy most of your posts. I have been watching yours, as a guest, before I signed up here. Thank you :)

@roger_m I did install the latest version even though I had the list of older ones available on HP's Website. They are 8 to 10 updates (nightmare).

@Local Host Sure I am downloading in the Firmware update right now! Thank you :D

Reactions: roger_m
Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.