Level 8
Thread author
Verified
Jul 24, 2018
Briefly explain your current issue(s)
Recommended BIOS update
Steps taken to resolve, but have been unsuccessful
Nothing
Hello! I have received a notification form HP Assistant indicating that there's a new "Recommended" BIOS update.
Capture.PNG

The update is for HP 280 G3 MT which is different from my PC (290 G1 MT). Should I update?

Reactions: Jack

Digerati

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Mar 2, 2017
Is your computer working fine? If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

If me, I would visit the HP support page for your specific HP and see if a new update is posted there. If there is one, I would read the description of the update and ONLY IF it applied to me would I install it. Again, if it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Upvote 0

Al-Faqir

Level 8
Thread author
Verified
Jul 24, 2018
Is your computer working fine? If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

If me, I would visit the HP support page for your specific HP and see if a new update is posted there. If there is one, I would read the description of the update and ONLY IF it applied to me would I install it. Again, if it ain't broke, don't fix it!

I see! I visited the Drivers page and yes the update is there. What I am worried about is the different model. I enter my product serial number and I still see the 280 G3 MT.

Upvote 0

TairikuOkami

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
It is for P04 Family BIOS, so most likely supports multiple models.But is it worth risking bricking the notebook just for, what exactly?
Updating BIOS is a tricky business, it is not like updating drivers, if something goes wrong, you might not be even able to turn it on.

Upvote 0

Al-Faqir

Level 8
Thread author
Verified
Jul 24, 2018
It is for P04 Family BIOS, so most likely supports multiple models.But is it worth risking bricking the notebook just for, what exactly?
Updating BIOS is a tricky business, it is not like updating drivers, if something goes wrong, you might not be even able to turn it on.

I know the risks. But HP released more than 3 BIOS updates and I ignored them all because I am worried that sth might go wrong!

Upvote 0

Digerati

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Mar 2, 2017
I know the risks. But HP released more than 3 BIOS updates and I ignored them all because I am worried that sth might go wrong!
To me, that is being wise!

It is important to understand that most BIOS updates are released to support new hardware that came out after the motherboard left the factory. For example, to support a new CPU or new RAM. If you are not upgrading to those devices, you don't need the update. This is why I said you need to read the update description.

When I build a new computer, I update the BIOS. But after that I don't unless (1) it addresses a problems I am having or (2) it addresses a security issue that might affect me. Otherwise, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"

Reactions: Al-Faqir
Upvote 0

TairikuOkami

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
Most manufacturers do not let you update BIOS with the unsupported version, those that do will warn you.
BIOS Update Utility Dialoge.jpg

Well to be fair 99,99% time nothing happens, it is just that one time, when it goes wrong, it goes horribly wrong.
As long as you know the risk, just update it quickly, disable realtime AV and make sure, that AC power is connected.

Upvote 0
L

Local Host

You should update, as BIOS updates tend to increase security, hardware support and overall make the system more stable. Considering you got 3 Updates, there's no telling what issues you might be having with voltages, timings and other settings.

Also this is 2018, it's possible to update the BIOS while on the Windows System and won't cause any issues, in worst cause scenario you can send the machine to HP.

You should only worry about BIOS updates when you doing it yourself manually, without any knowledge, this however is an automatic Update from HP (so you won't have issues).

Upvote 0
F

ForgottenSeer 58943

HP is pretty good with bios updates. Just step through each one, one at a time. HP doesn't path updates very well but otherwise, the bios update procedure is very good and the tool works. I just picked up a HP Elitebook i5, 8GB Ram, 250GB SSD refurb for $259 for my daughter and had to step it through 7 bios updates, and it went perfectly smooth.

It's absolutely CRITICAL you update bios. Those are tremendous security fixes.

Upvote 0

Digerati

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Mar 2, 2017
Well to be fair 99,99% time nothing happens, it is just that one time, when it goes wrong, it goes horribly wrong.
As long as you know the risk, just update it quickly, disable realtime AV and make sure, that AC power is connected.
I agree. These days, catastrophic problems are very rare. But since the can happen, I would make sure you have a current backup of any data you don't want to lose.
Considering you got 3 Updates, there's no telling what issues you might be having with voltages, timings and other settings.
Ummm, if the system is stable, and the OP has not suggested otherwise, likely none. To me, security would be the only reason.

Updating the BIOS is totally different from updating drivers. Drivers are just files on the hard drive. "Flashing" the BIOS reprograms the basic input output system for the entire motherboard. Big difference!

While updating a driver can render a system totally useless, it is typically much easier to roll back to a previous working driver. But as noted, a corrupt BIOS can brick a system completely. Rare, but it can happen. Therefore, unless a BIOS update is directly applicable to you, it is not wise to update just because a new BIOS version is out there.

It's absolutely CRITICAL you update bios. Those are tremendous security fixes.
How do you know that? Show us and the OP that those are security fixes, let alone "tremendous" ones.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Al-Faqir

Level 8
Thread author
Verified
Jul 24, 2018
Here are the available BIOS updates including release notes:-

* 00.02.19 Rev.A (released Aug 10, 2018): - Provides Intel ME Security Update

* 00.02.17 Rev.A (released June 20, 2018): - Provide Intel MCU Security Update

* 00.02.16 Rev.A (released June 2, 2018) : - Fixes issue where Hidden "Network Controller" item will cause system hang up when system is has a I210 NIC card.

* 00.02.15 Rev.A (released May 18, 2018) : - Provide Intel ME Security Update

* 00.02.12 Rev.A (released Jan 30, 2018): - Provides a new CPU microcode to improve system stability and security.

* 00.02.11 Rev.A (released Jan 23, 2018): - Removes previous unstable fix to ensure system stability.

* 00.02.09 Rev.A (released Jan 14, 2018): - Updates the Intel CPU microcode to provide improved security.

* 00.02.09 Rev.A (released Jan 8, 2018): - Upgrades KBL Microcode to 80.

Should I update each version? Or it is enough to update using the latest one?

Upvote 0

Al-Faqir

Level 8
Thread author
Verified
Jul 24, 2018
[QUOTE="Also this is 2018, it's possible to update the BIOS while on the Windows System and won't cause any issues, in worst cause scenario you can send the machine to HP.[/QUOTE]

Send it to HP? In my dreams. Can never do this. If sth horrible happens, getting a new PC is the only option.

Upvote 0
F

ForgottenSeer 58943

DO NOT skip updates unless you review notes.

I reviewed each note and any major update that said 'After this update you cannot roll back' (or something like that) then I used that as a major jump point. If you want to be safe, step through each one. When I tried to skip updates to the latest it kept forcing a rollback which was unpleasant.

Trust me on this!

Upvote 0

AriDfoix

Level 3
Verified
Sep 2, 2018
If you want to update, is enough you flash latest BIOS, both argumentations about updating and not updating have solid reasons behind them, the only thing I can add is if that flash chip go bad, there are some nice tutorials how to fix it.

Upvote 0

Al-Faqir

Level 8
Thread author
Verified
Jul 24, 2018
DO NOT skip updates unless you review notes.

I reviewed each note and any major update that said 'After this update you cannot roll back' (or something like that) then I used that as a major jump point. If you want to be safe, step through each one. When I tried to skip updates to the latest it kept forcing a rollback which was unpleasant.

Trust me on this!
Wished I saw the post before flashing. Any way the process finished successfully.
HP Assistant recommended the latest update. I have successfully updated the BIOS. After restart, HP Assistant notified about "System Firmware Update" What is that?

Firmware
Version:
11.8.55.3510 Rev.A
Fix and enhancements:
Intel ME Security Update
Released a month ago

Upvote 0
F

ForgottenSeer 58943

Don't over complicate this.

Just type System Information, get your current bios version. Go to the DOWNLOAD part of the website and download each version, upgrade, rinse and repeat. Do it manually, with each major revision just to be sure.

Upvote 0

Hello! I have received a notification form HP Assistant indicating that there's a new "Recommended" BIOS update.
View attachment 197186
The update is for HP 280 G3 MT which is different from my PC (290 G1 MT). Should I update?

Make it simple. Ask HP Support.

Someone here who says "Yeah... sure... go ahead" is not going to fix your system for you if the update goes badly.

NOTE: Vendor driver update pages and guidance are notoriously a disorganized, awful mess full of gobblygook that makes no sense - that sow nothing but confusion - even for those with a lot of experience.

Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.