Well-known
Jan 26, 2020
Briefly explain your current issue(s)
BIOS update question
Steps taken to resolve, but have been unsuccessful
consult in this forum.
Your current Antivirus
Kaspersky
I ordered B660 AORUS ELITE DDR4 (rev. 1.0) Key Features | Motherboard - GIGABYTE Global motherboard and this CPU:
Intel Core i5-13600K Raptor Lake LGA1700 13th Gen.

Someone in a computer company I bought them, will assemble my PC. Now I noticed that BIOS must be updated to be able to use the Core i5-13600K Raptor Lake LGA1700 13th Gen.

I asked them if they can replace the motherboard with a better one, so then a BIOS update won't be needed. He told me it's not necessary and they can safely update the BIOS.
I told him that I read at Reddit:
that someone wrote:
"Just buy a B760 when it comes out, why go through the extra hassle."

He told me then I have to buy DDR5 RAM, because I already purchased DDR4 RAM.

This is my first time I buy an assembled PC, with the parts I selected and asked a PC Builder company, which is reputable one, to build for me.
They will install Windows 11, but I told them I will do a clean installation myself after I got the PC.

Any idea on how it will go? I am paranoid about updating BIOS that would affect system stability and performance.
What if they update process of BIOS fails or doesn't complete fully? Will it harm my CPU?
But since they will do update the BIOS, I have to trust them.

Thank you very much.

Related link:

Reactions: Shadowra and Nevi

Shadowra

Level 34
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Tester
Well-known
Sep 2, 2021
BIOS updates are recommended to improve performance or correct known bugs.

If the BIOS update fails... you no longer have a BIOS. You'll have to re-flash the BIOS with an older version. Personally, I've never had a BIOS update problem.

Regarding your RAM question, an Intel 13th processor supports DDR4 and DDR5, which makes it versatile.
It's only AMD on the 7000 (AM5) that requires full DDR5 (DD4 up to the 5000).

Upvote 0

amirr

Level 27
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 26, 2020
BIOS updates are recommended to improve performance or correct known bugs.

If the BIOS update fails... you no longer have a BIOS. You'll have to re-flash the BIOS with an older version. Personally, I've never had a BIOS update problem.

Regarding your RAM question, an Intel 13th processor supports DDR4 and DDR5, which makes it versatile.
It's only AMD on the 7000 (AM5) that requires full DDR5 (DD4 up to the 5000).
Yes, he told me if I get ASUS Prime B760-PLUS, then I have to use DDR5, since it won't support DDR4.
I currently bought DDR4, so I have to stick with B660 AORUS ELITE DDR4 (rev. 1.0).

So based on what you said, they can easily do a BIOS update on B660 and I should not have any worries.
Thank you.

Reactions: Shadowra
Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.