HTTPS websites secured with GlobalSign certificates become inaccessible

Exterminator

Community Manager
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Belgium-based certificate authority, GlobalSign, has revealed that an issue with its internal certification process has caused browsers to report its SSL certificates as revoked. The company has fixed the issue, but it is expected to take up to four days for everything to get back to normal.

1476449137_cuqnbg7w8aawovl_story.jpg

According to an email sent by GlobalSign (pictured above) to affected customers, a planned clean-up of root certificates, resulted in some browsers reporting that the intermediate certificate had been revoked. It is said to be due to the revocation of a cross certificate linking two root certificates.
1476449824_screenshot_(111)_story.jpg

Example of the error in Chrome
The company has fixed the issue and cleared its caches, however, end users might still be affected for at least another four days due to caching on their end or at the CDN level. Since, browsers will not allow bypassing the "Revoked certificate" error, affected users will have no option, but to wait till the fixes are reflected.

Fortunately for web hosts, SSL certificates haven't been compromised, which was the case withComodo's certificates in 2011. Since, some certificates can be really expensive, network admins can now rest easy, knowing that theirs haven't been rendered invalid.

Source: The Register

DardiM

Level 26
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
May 14, 2016
@_CyberGhosT_
In fact I successfully downloaded it but had to allow the connection with Kaspersky T. S. (for a download, I was not worried. On a webpage with forms to fill, etc, I would have let KTS blocks it).

Last edited:

soccer97

Level 11
Verified
May 22, 2014
I was reading through that document. It says by October 18thm 2016, all/most users should not experience the issue, as the caches (on end-users PC's are refreshed every 4 days. It's some complicated stuff. I think there were some certs that needed to be revoked, and something may have gotten messed up.

Correct me if I am mistaken here.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.