Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 1, 2014
I've noticed few issues:
1. sluggish start-up
2. sometimes, the tab close icon (x) does not appear instantly. I have to move the cursor outside of it, for the icon to show up.
3. hard to know instantly whether the page is (re)loading. It takes awhile for Vivaldi to show the "loading bar". My only clue is that when reloading, the stop button is shown, rather than the reload button.

I'm talking about the latest and previous stable releases. :)

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
Vivaldi stable 1.4.589.29
  • [Regression][Windows] HTML5 Video no longer works with GPU acceleration disabled VB-21265
  • [Privacy] Search field suggests still sends requests even though it is off VB-21521
  • Further translation updates
  • Upgraded to Chromium 53.0.2785.122
https://update.vivaldi.com/update/1.0/relnotes/1.4.589.29.html

kev216

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 6, 2014
Snapshot 1.5.618.8 - Drag tabs between windows and performance improvements
Blogpost: https://vivaldi.net/en-US/teamblog/...-between-windows-and-performance-improvements

In today's snapshot we provide the ability to drag tabs between windows. Unlike other browsers you can also drag tab stacks and tab selections. And of course, the old method via the context menu still works for those who prefer it. We have also improved theming performance by roughly 400%. This also improves browser startup time! If you haven't used themes before, now is a great time to get started.

Drag Tabs between windows
This long requested feature is now available for public testing. Being Vivaldi, we also wanted to improve on this feature, to make it even better than what you see in other browsers. This means we also let you drag tab selections and tab stacks between Windows!

We’re working hard to iron out the bugs, which is where you come in. Please post those reports below and indicate your operating system version so that we can perfect it for you!

Download (1.5.618.8)

kev216

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 6, 2014
Snapshot 1.5.626.8 - URL field enhancements, Vivaldi banners and a small update
Blogpost and changelog: https://vivaldi.net/en-US/teamblog/...hancements-vivaldi-banners-and-a-small-update

Today's snapshot clears up a bunch of issues, with a particular focus on the URL field. There is also a "small update", which will become apparent in the next release.

You will need to download today's Windows snapshot to see the surprise in our next one.

Download (1.5.626.8)

Y

yigido

Vivaldi Introduces Delta Updates

Delta updates
Delta updates are a mechanism for allowing less data to be downloaded when upgrading to a new build.
How small? Well, a typical set of changes between two snapshots, one week apart, is so small that the update file would fit on a floppy disk!
In fact for this update, (since there are very little changes) the update for Windows 32bit is even smaller than the above picture of a floppy disk!

Delta updates benefit everyone. We save on bandwidth costs and you get a faster and often more reliable, download. It can also be cheaper for you, if you are paying for your data allowance.

Mac and Linux
We plan to bring delta updates to all of our supported platforms but the methods of doing so are different. Therefore we have decided to do it in steps. We went for Windows first as it was relatively easy and would impact the most users but the ultimate goal is to try and get the benefits of delta updates to all of you.

kev216

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 6, 2014
Reader Mode button and tab dragging improvements - Vivaldi Browser snapshot 1.5.633.3
Blogpost and changelog: Reader Mode button and tab dragging improvements - Vivaldi Browser snapshot 1.5.633.3 - Vivaldi Web browser Community

Today's snapshot adds a new reader mode icon to the address field, improves our support for dragging and dropping tabs, adds a few more settings and fixes some very annoying bugs!
Reader mode simplifies web pages by removing most of the clutter. We actually added support some time back, within our page actions. Today, we are making it more accessible by providing a button directly within the address field.

This is still work in progress and we are very much open to feedback.

Download (1.5.633.3)

FrFc1908

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 28, 2016
Yes the sluggish start-up sure is a problem here also but once up and running it seems fine. ;)
It solely based based on your statement above , for me to ditch vivaldi Some weeks back. All in all it is a Nice browser ( very customizable and Nice layout ) to be fair but it's sluggishness on startup is a Thorn in my eye. Chrome and opera work better for me ;). I am quite sure that not Everyone here has te same point of view on this , it's just my humble opinion :D

DardiM

Level 26
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
May 14, 2016
I get this webpage
upload_2016-10-14_17-32-57.png

I will try with another browser
Edited - 1 :
Links for windows are disabled from Reader Mode button - Vivaldi Browser snapshot 1.5.633.3/16 - Vivaldi Web browser Community
Known Issue
  • The Windows builds are being replaced due to issues with drag and drop tabs. Download links are non-functional for now. A new build will be uploaded later today.
Edited - 2 :
Link for "32-bit for Win7+" version is now enabled, but same strange webpage as posted above

Other people have the same issue ?

Last edited:

kev216

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 6, 2014
@DardiM The download links for windows versions in the blogpost work fine here now. I don't have this screen and I can download hem without hassle. Looks like they messed up a lot with the new snapshot. They are replacing the windows builds because of drag and drop issues as you mentioned, but also in the linux builds (the green Soprano builds (users that test Vivaldi) as far as I understand), there are issues because they forgot to disable the mail client, which is not read yet to be displayed in public.

DardiM

Level 26
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
May 14, 2016
@DardiM The download links for windows versions in the blogpost work fine here now. I don't have this screen and I can download hem without hassle. Looks like they messed up a lot with the new snapshot. They are replacing the windows builds because of drag and drop issues as you mentioned, but also in the linux builds (the green Soprano builds (users that test Vivaldi) as far as I understand), there are issues because they forgot to disable the mail client, which is not read yet to be displayed in public.
I have got this webpage/issue with enabled links, when I try to download from Vivaldi Browser 1.5.627.3 (Developer Build) (64-bit),
it works fine with Edge and Firefox :)

Last edited:

kev216

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 6, 2014
I have got this webpage/issue with enabled links, when I try to download from Vivaldi Browser 1.5.627.3 (Developer Build) (64-bit),
it works fine with Edge and Firefox :)
Strange. That was not the case here.

Also, Windows versions already got a new update in the meantime with tab drag and drop fixes.

DardiM

Level 26
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
May 14, 2016
Last edited:

kev216

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 6, 2014
Engine update - Vivaldi Browser snapshot 1.5.638.3
Blogpost: Engine update - Vivaldi Browser snapshot 1.5.638.3 - Vivaldi Web browser Community

The following is an update to our browser engine (Chromium). Such updates can cause new bugs and regressions in behaviour. Please compare it against the last snapshot and let us know if you see any new issues.

The Chromium engine got updated to version 54

Download (1.5.638.3)

kev216

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 6, 2014
Reader view access options - Vivaldi Browser snapshot 1.5.644.7
Blogpost and full changelog: Reader view access options - Vivaldi Browser snapshot 1.5.644.7 - Vivaldi Web browser Community

We have focused on improvements to our new 1.5 features in today's snapshot, meaning further enhancements to reader view and drag tabs between windows. We also fixed two of the most serious regressions from the last snapshot (focus issues and text blurriness), improved both the Windows installer and URL field and cleaned up some UI elements.

More reader view access options
As you know we like to make our new features work for all kinds of users. That is why we usually have more than one way to access them. In a previous snapshot we made reader view more prominent by providing a toggle button in the address field. In today's snapshot, we allow you to assign a keyboard shortcut, for those of you who are more keyboard focussed. Or if you don't want to use up a valuable keyboard shortcut, you can also toggle reader mode via Quick Commands!

Known issue
No macOS version today, due to a couple of serious issues that appeared following the (Chromium) engine update, relating to page display and how autoupdate works. There is no change in policy with regards to the relative importance of each operating system—the Vivaldi team is made up of a mixture of Mac, Linux and Windows users.

Once the issues with macOS are resolved we will issue a new snapshot right away. In the mean time, the Windows and Linux snapshots will continue, to help us to gather feedback on our most recent improvements, as we are rapidly close in on the 1.5 stable release.

Download (1.5.644.7)

kev216

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 6, 2014
Chromecast support - Vivaldi Browser snapshot 1.5.648.6
Blogpost and full changelog: Chromecast support - Vivaldi Browser snapshot 1.5.648.6 - Vivaldi Web browser Community

As requested by many of you, we have enabled Chromecast support directly within the browser and fixed a range of other, smaller issues.

Enjoy your weekend and expect more from us next week!

Download (1.5.648.6)

frogboy

In memoriam 1961-2018
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 9, 2013
Advanced tab dragging - Vivaldi Browser snapshot 1.5.651.10
Written by Ruarí Ødegaard

October 31, 2016

Happy Monday! Today we have further improvements and polishing to tab drag and drop and a couple of crash fixes.

Drag tabs between windows
We continue to add a bit of polish to our tab drag and drop implementation. Some things that our implementation allows, that others browsers cannot do include:

• Drag selections of tabs (Shift or Ctrl click) to another window
  • Drag tab stacks between windows
  • Drag a tab in and out of a tab stack: to drag out, grab one of the little sub-tabs at the top
  • Drag a tab to the trash: drag it down first and then over to the trash
Known issues
Download (1.5.651.10)
Changelog
  • [Tabs DND] Improving and Polishing of Tab Dragging
  • [Tabs DND] Drop on tab to make tab stack (VB-22582)
  • [Tabs DND] Crash when dragging a tab out of window and to the desktop (VB-22576)
  • Provide a way to allow insecure content to load at the users request: work in progress, needs a new icon (VB-22450)
  • Vivaldi crashes on closing a tab with opened Task Manager (VB-22442)
  • More robust error checking and importing of Opera 12 data (VB-22453)
  • Add HTML content type for bookmark clipboard (VB-9699)

Enjoy people. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.