Advice Request Humble PC Upgrade time (Help choose)

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

JakeXPMan

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 20, 2014
I scratched the other two ideas, and decided on this... a sweet medium FOR $79 total, my first LENOVO ever, what you guys think ?

Lenovo ThinkCentre M78 Desktop A4-5300B 3.4GHz - 4GB - 500GB w/ Win 10 Pro

Lenovo

Graphics Processing Type: Integrated/On-Board Graphics
Product Line: ThinkCentre Memory: 4GB
Model:
M78
Operating System: Windows 10
Operating System Edition: Professional
Screen Size: None VIDEO CARD: AMD Radeon HD 7480D
Form Factor: Desktop BITS: 64-bit
Storage Type: HDD (Hard Disk Drive)
Hard Drive Capacity: 500GB VIDEO PORT(S):
VGA, DisplayPort
NETWORK CAPABILITY: Wired
Processor Type: AMD A4-5300B CORES: Dual Core
Processor Speed: 3.40GHz CPU Model: A4-5300B

Last edited:

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
Missed the other two. Good for the money, especially a 500 GB main drive w/the OS.

Some super cool machines from the same time. They all seem to have something that keeps them from being really great though. I have a dual core (E2180) on a BioStar board that will support a Q6600 quad core->crazy board. It has 64 bit W7, but the board will only take 4 GB, so there's the problem :eek:. Makes me want to ask,, "Biostar, what were you thinking with this board?". If your board can take 8 GB, I would go for it if you can find the change.

I want to get a Lenovo one of these years. Something like this:

Lenovo ThinkCentre M91p Intel Core i5 2400 @3.10Ghz. 4GB RAM 500GB HDD Win 7 Pro

I have an HP with the same processor. i5-2400 has to be one of the untalked about legends for a processor for an office PC.

Reactions: JakeXPMan

JakeXPMan

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 20, 2014
Missed the other two. Good for the money, especially a 500 GB main drive w/the OS.

Some super cool machines from the same time.

I want to get a Lenovo one of these years. Something like this:

Lenovo ThinkCentre M91p Intel Core i5 2400 @3.10Ghz. 4GB RAM 500GB HDD Win 7 Pro

That was the one :) Just a i3 dual core instead of i5. for $100. Also a $64 machine, with an Intel e8400 duo core, 2 GB RAM 1 TB. I wanted that one most, cause it looked coolest, but seller said it might be 32bits, which is a bit humble for 2017.

Both had windows 7 pro. I decided to go newest model small form PC + windows 10, with a somewhat weakest CPU benckmark, 2,017 / 2,100 / 3,888 ... but got my fingers crossed its good for basic gaming, yes BASIC lol. It has the HIGHEST clock at 3.4 and a turbo speed and GPU.

I also like the Recovery Partition on the HDD. They do a nice reinstall of drivers and programs so I don't have to.

Although windows 10 I hear is much easier to install again then 7.

Last edited:
Reactions: AtlBo

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
What kind of gaming do you do?

It looks like you got what you are looking for with the PC you chose. I used a core 2 duo PC for 3 years that benched at 1250. It was fine with less graphics power than you have. I ran Quake 3, QuakeLive, Half-Life, System Shock 2, and even Silent Hunter 4, which is very heavy for its day. Still have the PC, and it runs 1080 video but not great, but yours will do much better.

Next time you get a PC, you got to try an i5-2400 or 2500. Those processors are so underrated. The 2400 benches at 6000 and I think the 2500 is around 6500! If you get a PC to that point, processor isn't likely to bottleneck much of anything. Maybe even better, the motherboard for the HP 6200 Pro here with the 2400 supports 6 GB/sec hard drives and data transfer, meaning it will handle 6 GB standard drives or SSD. This one came stock with a WD 6 GB standard disk drive. :cool:

Last edited:
Reactions: JakeXPMan

JakeXPMan

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 20, 2014
What kind of gaming do you do?

Next time you get a PC, you got to try an i5-2400 or 2500. Those processors are so underrated.

I3 and I5 benchmark excellent scores, 3000+ 5000++ An intel quad goes a long way, but I think the cheapest option, around $150-180 dollars with a 500GB drive and W10. I don't quite want to spend over 100, not YET anyway. I can get by I think with what I bought yesterday, we'll see!

I do Google app games, like angry birds type stuff, slot machine, and the graphic excessive Farming game, which lags pretty bad on 626 benchmark. Had to use a booster with Process Lasso helped the lag a little but still not great.

Here's the CPU Boss advantages to my new PC's CPU compared with my current CPU,

Much higher clock speed

3.4 GHz vs 2 GHz 70% higher clock speed
More threads 2 vs 1 Twice as many threads
More cores 2 vs 1 Twice as many cores; run more applications at once
Significantly better overclocked clock speed (Water) 3.4 GHz vs 2 GHz 70% better overclocked clock speed (Water)
Better overclocked clock speed (Air) 3.4 GHz vs 3.11 GHz Around 10% better overclocked clock speed (Air

Last edited:
Reactions: AtlBo

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
I3 and I5 benchmark excellent scores, 3000+ 5000++ An intel quad goes a long way, but I think the cheapest option, around $150-180 dollars with a 500GB drive and W10. I don't quite want to spend over 100, not YET anyway. I can get by I think with what I bought yesterday, we'll see!

You are going to like the PC you purchased, especially in comparison to what you were using. It starts with the processor, and this processor is 3x the benchmark? You will notice a big difference and with the graphics to boot.

The HP 6200 Pro I got for $135 on ebay including postage, and I looked for a few days before I found that price. I definitely recommend a 6 GB/sec motherboard if you ever decide to look for another PC. Usually it will also take DDR-3 RAM. Little things which make a difference overall.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.