Hungry Man's Setup

Hungry Man

Thread author
Jul 21, 2011
I think I just keep looking at my computer/ setup and trying to figure out how I could be attacked and how to mitigate those attacks... and each time I do that I see some hole and thing "Oh damn I'd better patch that up" and it leads to a rather comprehensive setup haha

D

Deleted member 178

honestly if someone really want to attack you (i dont think so , your files are not labelled Top Secret :D ), they will succeed. so dont ùmind too much about it, no computer is 100% bullet-proof.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
An example for this was TeamViewer Application its a legal remote access software.

That can grant access through the other computer. By knowing the username and password that was using this software too.

So imagine your computer was attacked by this style and your vulnerable.

D

Deleted member 178

if you allow apps like vnc or teamviewer or any remote access apps, you must be prepared that one day the credentials may be compromised.

Hungry Man

Thread author
Jul 21, 2011
umbrapolaris said:
honestly if someone really want to attack you (i dont think so , your files are not labelled Top Secret :D ), they will succeed. so dont ùmind too much about it, no computer is 100% bullet-proof.
Oh I know that. But I'm going to make it as hard as possible for them =p

The easy part is securing 3rd party applications, the hard part is securing the OS.

jamescv7 said:
An example for this was TeamViewer Application its a legal remote access software.

That can grant access through the other computer. By knowing the username and password that was using this software too.

So imagine your computer was attacked by this style and your vulnerable.
I don't use any remote applications like this but if I did I'd use something like applocker to block them from running at all until I give the say-so.

umbrapolaris said:
if you allow apps like vnc or teamviewer or any remote access apps, you must be prepared that one day the credentials may be compromised.
At this point I just assume that every possible attack vector is already compromised. It's the only way to actually secure them because you have to assume that patching is useless.

Hungry Man

Thread author
Jul 21, 2011
Moved to Chrome dev. Installed new adblocker using WebRequest API. Removed host file.

Ramblin

Level 3
May 14, 2011
Hungry Man said:
lol yes I'm liking it
Liking it? Give it some time, you ll love it and eventually you ll get hook
on it, like many.:D

I wont give you my opinion about using SBIE along Comodos sandbox
but I am sure, soon, hopefully sooner than later, you ll realize whats
best.:rolleyes:

Bo

Hungry Man

Thread author
Jul 21, 2011
Some major changes. Removed Mamutu for one thing. Added sandboxie Pro beta as well.

Hungry Man

Thread author
Jul 21, 2011
Looking to configure applocker as well to block execution in certain folders.

D

Deleted member 178

im satisfied with SB free, waiting 4 sec is not killing me ^^

Hungry Man

Thread author
Jul 21, 2011
Free just didn't offer enough protection. I run too many sandboxed programs at once.

D

Deleted member 178

shadow defender shadow mode + Sandboxie is enough to me ^^

Ramblin

Level 3
May 14, 2011
umbrapolaris said:
im satisfied with SB free, waiting 4 sec is not killing me ^^
For someone like you, whose playing around everyday with different software,
SBIE free is more than enough. The protection on both versions is exactly
the same. The only differences are, ONE, registering your copy allows you to
force programs and folders to open sandboxed and, TWO, The registered
version allows you to have more than one sandbox open at the same time.

SBIE free, is enough. If you want, I ll show you how. :D

For me, I got to have a registered copy. Why? because I do everything
sandboxed. Basically, nothing is run out of the sandbox and unlike you,
I don't change setup. My setup, as of now, is the same setup that I had
on January1 of this year.
Bo setup
Sandboxie
NoScript
XP Firewall
Run as Adm

I can run as I do, ONLY because I use SBIE. It would make no difference if
I was using the free version. Registering your copy makes things more
automatic, less thinking required but you can set your sandbox as tight as
mine even though you are using the free version.

Tzuk is a very generous fellow, nothing that has to do with security is taken
out of the free version. Nothing.

Bo:)

Hungry Man

Thread author
Jul 21, 2011
I use Digsby and Chrome at the same time, therefor I need the pro to use both sandboxed. If I had them both in one sandbox it would defeat the purpose, malware brought in by chrome could run and listen in on digsby.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.