Advice Request I bought MalwareBytes lifetime key is it worth it?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Taehyun

Thread author
Apr 18, 2021
So since last time I got my PC killed with a ransomware and malware now I have Bitdefender and I decided to buy Malwarebyte and got a lifetime key.
My main question is that if this anti malware software is worth it and does its job.
If ya have any suggestion of what to get for protections let me know!

:)

Kongo

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
So since last time I got my PC killed with a ransomware and malware now I have Bitdefender and I decided to buy Malwarebyte and got a lifetime key.
My main question is that if this anti malware software is worth it and does its job.
If ya have any suggestion of what to get for protections let me know!

:)

I never really used it myself but it seems to have improved a lot in recent tests.

RoboMan

Level 34
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
Is it worth it? It depends on your needs.

Understanding you already have BitDefender (paid version), then it's not worth it. BitDefender suite is top-notch and does not need to be complemented with anything else. Scenario changes if you're using BitDefender Free.

Whatever the case, I would not have two real-time protection security programs working together, so I'd go with BD if its paid, or MB if your copy of BD is the free one.

Last edited:

Taehyun

Thread author
Apr 18, 2021
Is it worth it? It depends on your needs.

Understanding you already have BitDefender (paid version), then it's not worth it. BitDefender suite is top-notch and does not need to be complemented with anything else. Scenario changes if you're using BitDefender Free.

Whatever the case, I would have two real-time protection security programs working together, so I'd go with BD if its paid, or MB if youre copy of BD is the free one.
Yeah I have bitfender paid version and this malwarebytes and yes i always have them both active when i surf on chrome, edge and i keep my vpn on in case im visiting a shady website.

Kongo

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
Yeah I have bitfender paid version and this malwarebytes and yes i always have them both active when i surf on chrome, edge and i keep my vpn on in case im visiting a shady website.
You shouldn't. Throw Malwarebytes off your system until your Bitdefender subscription runs out as two AVs in real-time are not recommended.

Templarware

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Mar 13, 2021
I think the times where Malwarebytes was meant to complement your AV are over. They are heading in the direction of a standalone security product.
So if they're heading, they haven't got there yet 🙃
They have a guide on their forums to help people use Malwarebytes Premium with Windows Defender with no issues. Basically, adding it to the exclusions.

Kongo

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
So if they're heading, they haven't got there yet 🙃
They have a guide on their forums to help people use Malwarebytes Premium with Windows Defender with no issues. Basically, adding it to the exclusions.
Many products state that they can alongside other AV's but in the end they don't add much protection anyway. Why using another real-time protection when having Bitdefender with solid protection and the option to use tools like Simple Windows Hardening or OSArmor?

Templarware

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Mar 13, 2021
Many AV's state that they can alongside other AV's but in the end they don't add much protection anyway. Why using another real-time protection when having Bitdefender with solid protection and the option to use tools like Simple Windows Hardening or OSArmor?
I agree. But then I would say, not worth it to buy Malwarebytes Premium. Use Windows Defender with or without those tools. If you're going to pay for an AV, others are more complete and better, personally I would pick one with included Firewall.

Kongo

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
I agree. But then I would say, not worth it to buy Malwarebytes Premium. Use Windows Defender with or without those tools. If you're going to pay for an AV, others are more complete and better, personally I would pick one with included Firewall.
Absolutely. At this point of time I don't think that Malwarebytes is the best product to choose, especially when he already has Bitdefender. Thats why I said that he should use Bitdefender at least till the license runs out and then he can take a look at Malwarebytes and decide which product is best for him.

Dave Russo

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 26, 2014
I also have a lifetime Malwarebytes key, haven't used it{in 3 years} do to its past mediocrity, after being really good, but its definitely worth having as its seems to be rebounding to being good again ,as far as you getting a ransomware attack, do you have a decent backup program? with a external drive to unplug as a precaution

Kongo

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
For me, the advantage of Malwarebytes Premium was the "ability" to work alongside Windows Defender or other, being cheap. If it's not worth it, then thanks but no.
Don't get me wrong, I don't question its ability to run alongside another AV but I just think that it's not worth the money when there are free and better options that don't need even more PC resources next to your AV.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.