Thread author
Verified
Apr 13, 2016
Briefly explain your current issue(s)
Three folders are impossible to remove
Steps taken to resolve, but have been unsuccessful
Disk Cleanup tool,Unlocker,Attempt to remove the safe mode
Taking rights
I can't delete the three folders Windows.old (Windows.old,2,3),Disk Cleanup fails and leaves the catalogs together , there are the old system files,of course , most has been removed

Kalashnikov

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Apr 13, 2016
Yes Rishi... I gave the information what steps it has taken,without the final result... not everything has been erased,these three folders are very annoying

Reactions: Rishi
Upvote 0

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
If you have upgraded to Windows 10 in the past 30-days, the Windows.Old folder is needed in order to downgrade - if you didn't like Windows 10.

Force deletion of Windows.Old folder may potentially break Windows 10, as from previous experience.

Can you post a screenshot?

Upvote 0

Kalashnikov

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Apr 13, 2016
So it looks,

In the middle is a folder " WINDOWS" ,and one "Program Files".

I'm not going to give up Windows 10 , I really like , but these old folders annoys me...
62305104456251227992.jpg
48012488285983452444.jpg

Upvote 0

XhenEd

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 1, 2014
Hunch tells me that this has something to do with permissions.

Edit: Oh, you've taken the rights. My hunch is probably wrong, then. :)

Upvote 0

Rishi

Level 19
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 3, 2015
You can take ownership in the right click properties>security>permissions>edit adding your local user, starting from the lowest level ---> files --->subfolders---> root directory, this is the best way to manually remove the files.

You can also use the registry hack for context menu ----> Take ownership [Tip] Add “Take Ownership” Option in Files and Folders Context Menu in Windows - AskVG

A couple of more methods aimed at doing the same can be found here : Solved Can't Delete Windows.old folder or subfolders. - Windows 10 Forums

These include using elevated cmd or distros to release the previous windows drivers held captive by microsoft renaming scheme.

Upvote 0

Kalashnikov

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Apr 13, 2016
The standard attempt to remove these folders, I get the message "In order to remove this folder , obtain permission from SYSTEM".So I am the sole owner of the laptop and the system administrator,when I change the owner of a directory on its name,I get the same message ... windows tells me to get the power from each other ...

Upvote 0

Rishi

Level 19
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 3, 2015
The standard attempt to remove these folders, I get the message "In order to remove this folder , obtain permission from SYSTEM".So I am the sole owner of the laptop and the system administrator,when I change the owner of a directory on its name,I get the same message ... windows tells me to get the power from each other ...
Try the take ownership context menu tool, and do not add admin account but the local username.Try one folder/file at a time individually. The files will also be deleted automatically once you have completed the 30 day trial limit of Microsoft windows 10.

Reactions: frogboy
Upvote 0

DJ Panda

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 30, 2015
From personally experience don't remove Windows.old I did and ended up wrecking my computer attempting to go back to Windows 7. 1gb taking up your hard drive isn't THAT bad.

Reactions: Azure
Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 178

Windows.old removed itself after a period of time. just let it be or you can use Ccleaner or Windows built-in cleaner.

Reactions: Azure
Upvote 0

Kalashnikov

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Apr 13, 2016
So, yes gentlemen, back after restoring the system ... I managed to erase most of the files from one folder Windows.old, but it caused complications ... Button Start menu did not respond to clicks and total system slowed .. However, there is some reason, something stops before deleting these directories, and system cleaning drive leaves the data ... Mr. Huracan was right but as you can see a man all the time to teach ...So far I discontinue further action, wait this month if it does not disappear refresh topic.

Reactions: frogboy and Ink
Upvote 0

Carl Davidson

Feb 11, 2017
Hi Kalashnikov

Your problem seems familiar to me "can't delete folders". I´d recommend that you use Long Path Tool, this program is definitely for you.
Its an outstanding software I have ever used and you can easily fix file errors with this software.

Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.