Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 2, 2018
Briefly explain your current issue(s)
I can't enable Windows Update
Steps taken to resolve, but have been unsuccessful
Reinstall NoVirusThanks Win Update Stop
I use NoVirusThanks Win Update Stop to manually enable and disable Windows Update, but for some reason I can't enable Windows Update through the app, and the service itself. I had Windows Update disable before, and now I can't enable it. I did reinstall the app, but it is no luck at all.

sfc/scannow and Windows Update troubleshooting seem to be stuck.

Reactions: upnorth

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
How do I know or tell if these codes are working?
The task should show as failed, once you try to run it and refresh task scheduler.
I guess permissions are messed up or the process is protected by some leftovers.

Edit: ah no it was blocking one of svchost.exe via firewall rule.
Yes, that is the simplest way, though it also blocks updating certificates for browsers and DNS (when not setup manually).

Upvote 0
F

ForgottenSeer 69673

You could try this batch file. I can't remember wher I got it but it has worked for me in the past with update issues. currently it is a text file but just rename it something.bat run as admin , reboot and try update again.

Attachments

• windows_update_fix.txt
    3.9 KB · Views: 481
Upvote 0

SumTingWong

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 2, 2018
The task should show as failed, once you try to run it and refresh task scheduler.
I guess permissions are messed up or the process is protected by some leftovers.

Yes, that is the simplest way, though it also blocks updating certificates for browsers and DNS (when not setup manually).

Which task?

Reactions: Weebarra
Upvote 0

SumTingWong

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 2, 2018
Schedule Scan.

Is this looking good? All 3 new codes you provided execute successfully without any issue. Here is a screenshot of Task Scheduler > UpdateOrchesta
Screenshot_2.png

Reactions: TairikuOkami
Upvote 0

NoVirusThanks

From NoVirusThanks
Verified
Developer
Well-known
Aug 23, 2012
@SumTingWong

I have Win Update Stop running on 3 systems from a few months, I tried now to click on "Enable" button and all worked fine.

After a reboot I was able to check for Windows Updates again, so that's strange.

What Win Update Stop does is just keep the Windows Update service disabled (via its service application).

What I have noticed, is that sometimes there may be the need to repeat this loop 2 or 3 times:

1) Open Windows Update app and check for updates
2) Then if you get an error, reboot the system

Before doing these steps you will need to open Win Update Stop and click "Enable" button (to make sure Windows Service is not stopped) or uninstall Win Update Stop.

What are the exact issues you're having? Such as you keep getting errors when you try to check for updates via the Windows Update app?

Is there the possibility somehow that other security apps are preventing Win Update Stop to modify Windows Update service?

What version of Windows 10 are you running? 1809?

Can you make some screenshots or a video about the issue (i.e Windows Update service cant be started via services.msc)?

Upvote 0

SumTingWong

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 2, 2018
@SumTingWong

I have Win Update Stop running on 3 systems from a few months, I tried now to click on "Enable" button and all worked fine.

After a reboot I was able to check for Windows Updates again, so that's strange.

What Win Update Stop does is just keep the Windows Update service disabled (via its service application).

What I have noticed, is that sometimes there may be the need to repeat this loop 2 or 3 times:

1) Open Windows Update app and check for updates
2) Then if you get an error, reboot the system

Before doing these steps you will need to open Win Update Stop and click "Enable" button (to make sure Windows Service is not stopped) or uninstall Win Update Stop.

What are the exact issues you're having? Such as you keep getting errors when you try to check for updates via the Windows Update app?

Is there the possibility somehow that other security apps are preventing Win Update Stop to modify Windows Update service?

What version of Windows 10 are you running? 1809?

Can you make some screenshots or a video about the issue (i.e Windows Update service cant be started via services.msc)?

I am running 1803. I have to perform a full disk restore to get NVT and Windows Update working again. After the restore, I uninstalling NVT for good because your app nuke Windows Update service. Windows Update service startup type is grey out " Disable" and Service Status " Stopped " grey out as well. I also restarting my PC multiple times, and no luck.

One thing I find NVT Win Update Stop COMPLETELY DANGEROUS is if I have Windows Update disable in NVT Win Update Stop, and I accident uninstall the app then I will have no fix to get Windows Update up and running again because Startup type and Service Status grey out with " Disable " and " Stopped".

I have ESET and MBAM running and both of them showing no sign detecting NVT Win Update Stop as a threat.

I testing this on my 2 machines and both showing the same symptom.

No way in hell I am going to install NVT Win Update Stop again.

Oh yeah, this app install on the host machine, and not VM.

Upvote 0

NoVirusThanks

From NoVirusThanks
Verified
Developer
Well-known
Aug 23, 2012
That's definitely strange, however I extracted some potentially useful suggestions from the web:

Possibility 1 - See accepted answer:

WINDOWS UPDATE SETTINGS IS GREYED OUT -

This worked for me:

1) Hold WindowsKey + R (is hold Start & press R on your keyboard)

2) Type: “regedit” Hit Enter

3) Go to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU

Find AUOptions.
Double Click AUOptions or Right Click Modify

> You can change the values data from 1 through 5 <
1. Download updates but let me choose wether to install them
2. Check for updates but let me choose wether to download and install them
3. Download updates but let me choose wether to install them
4. Install updates automatically / Never Check For Updates
5. Enable the option box to choose manually

(Note: Option 1,2,3 & 5 did not give me the option for Never Check For Updates. I chose 4 at the end because I want Never Check For Updates)

Possibility 2 - You're on a Limited/Standard Account:

How to fix start or stop services options greyed out in Services on Windows 7 professional?

Possibility 3 - Windows update grayed out By Bas Wijdenes:

https://www.baswijdenes.com/portfolio/windows-update-grayed-out/

Possibility 4 - Did you use other tweaks?

Cannot Re-Enable Windows Update Solved - Windows 10 Forums

It was O&O Shutup10 which I used for privacy when upgrading to 10. Once I told Shutup to default to factory settings, I could then use the telemetry fix and it worked as it was supposed to.

Possibility 5 - Is "msiserver" service running?

windows services greyed out - Windows 10 Forums

Possibility 6 - Terminate all msiserver.exe instances:

Windows 10 Windows Installer (msiserver) greyed out

Do a CTRL+ALT+DEL and go into Task Manager. Select any instances of 'msiserver.exe' that you see running and click 'End Task'. Voila! Back to normal.

Possibility 7 - Windows Update troubleshooting guide from MS:

Windows Update troubleshooting

Upvote 0

SumTingWong

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 2, 2018
That's definitely strange, however I extracted some potentially useful suggestions from the web:

How to fix start or stop services options greyed out in Services on Windows 7 professional?

I appreciate the time you take to fix my problem, but the thing is your software causes tremendous damage that I don't think any of the solutions you posted will work, and I will not attempt to install NVT Win Update Stop app on my host machine again ( lesson learn). I will try and test it on the VM later when I have time to set it up. There is no reset button in the app btw.

I don't recommend this app base on my experience and issue that I have to go through. If the app only disable Windows Update service than how come I can't enable it manually without NVT Win Update Stop.

Yes. I guess you do not have English Windows, because "Administrators" is written differently in other languages.

Is the code working on my end? Did it stop Windows automatic update?

Reactions: Vasudev
Upvote 0

Vasudev

Level 33
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
I appreciate the time you take to fix my problem, but the thing is your software causes tremendous damage that I don't think any of the solutions you posted will work, and I will not attempt to install NVT Win Update Stop app on my host machine again ( lesson learn). I will try and test it on the VM later when I have time to set it up. There is no reset button in the app btw.

I don't recommend this app base on my experience and issue that I have to go through. If the app only disable Windows Update service than how come I can't enable it manually without NVT Win Update Stop.

Is the code working on my end? Did it stop Windows automatic update?
Were you on v1809? Do you see System Guard runtime broker,BITS,Update orchestration services being grayed out as well?

Upvote 0

SumTingWong

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 2, 2018
Were you on v1809? Do you see System Guard runtime broker,BITS,Update orchestration services being grayed out as well?

I am not on 1809. I am on 1803 try to disable Windows automatic update. I don't know about System Guard runtime broker,BITS,Update orchestration services being grayed out or not, but Windows Update cannot check for update when NVT Win Update Stop nuke the whole thing.

@TairikuOkami I will keep my eyes on it.

Upvote 0

Vasudev

Level 33
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
I am not on 1809. I am on 1803 try to disable Windows automatic update. I don't know about System Guard runtime broker,BITS,Update orchestration services being grayed out or not, but Windows Update cannot check for update when NVT Win Update Stop nuke the whole thing.

@TairikuOkami I will keep my eyes on it.
Those services are needed to download update silent in background.
When I use wub, I can't update windows that's correct functionality. You need to disable wub or NVT thing to update normally!

Upvote 0

SumTingWong

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 2, 2018
If Last Checked Windows Update is more than 2 days old, it is working.

I can't disable Sheduled Task in Update Orchestrator after input your 3 command codes which are
" takeown /s %computername% /u %username% /f "%WINDIR%\System32\UsoClient.exe"
" icacls "%WINDIR%\System32\UsoClient.exe" /inheritance:r /grant:r %username%:(OI)(CI)F /q /c "
" icacls "%WINDIR%\System32\UsoClient.exe" /remove %username% "Administrators" "Authenticated Users" "Users" "System"

I get this error message when I manually try to disable Scheduled Task
Screenshot_5.png

Upvote 0

SumTingWong

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 2, 2018
Lol you are still on it? clean install is your friend.

I already solved the Windows Update issue, but now I need to figure out how to disable Windows automatic update. I know you can easily it on the Pro, and I love to switch to the Pro if I can find a legit site selling Windows 10 Pro keys for good deal because I am not comfortable to spend $120 or $99 for upgrade.

Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.