Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 2, 2018
Briefly explain your current issue(s)
I can't enable Windows Update
Steps taken to resolve, but have been unsuccessful
Reinstall NoVirusThanks Win Update Stop
I use NoVirusThanks Win Update Stop to manually enable and disable Windows Update, but for some reason I can't enable Windows Update through the app, and the service itself. I had Windows Update disable before, and now I can't enable it. I did reinstall the app, but it is no luck at all.

sfc/scannow and Windows Update troubleshooting seem to be stuck.

Reactions: upnorth

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
@TairikuOkami I can't disable Scheduled Task of UpdateOrchestrator.
Yes, since 1709 or 1803, unless you use some tools to elevate rights (I do not like using external tools). MS is fighting back. :D

Dam. I dont want to spend $200 to upgrade Pro on my two computers.
I am glad I got my Pro Licence from MS store for $15 back then and for $8, from somewhere else. I have not lost much sleep about it. :sneaky:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Vasudev

Level 33
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
I already solved the Windows Update issue, but now I need to figure out how to disable Windows automatic update. I know you can easily it on the Pro, and I love to switch to the Pro if I can find a legit site selling Windows 10 Pro keys for good deal because I am not comfortable to spend INR 8,386 or INR 6,918 for upgrade.
Dam. I dont want to spend INR 13,976 to upgrade Pro on my two computers.

@TairikuOkami I can't disable Scheduled Task of UpdateOrchestrator.
Grab WUMT wrapper script from Majorgeeks and unpack it, then in Portable folder open wub in admin mode and select disable. Make sure Protect services is checked since a reboot can start Win update again. I use it always on Home edition of W10 even though I found Pro version for INR 1,048.
I'm slowing transitioning to Linux and ditching Windows entirely, so far its not happened.
If you hate wub, grab NSUDO from Majorgeeks and open services.msc which can be found under System32 folder and open it in Trusted Installer Super user privilege to disable BITS and WU and disable WU entirely.

Upvote 0

SumTingWong

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 2, 2018
Grab WUMT wrapper script from Majorgeeks and unpack it, then in Portable folder open wub in admin mode and select disable. Make sure Protect services is checked since a reboot can start Win update again. I use it always on Home edition of W10 even though I found Pro version for INR 1,048.
I'm slowing transitioning to Linux and ditching Windows entirely, so far its not happened.
If you hate wub, grab NSUDO from Majorgeeks and open services.msc which can be found under System32 folder and open it in Trusted Installer Super user privilege to disable BITS and WU and disable WU entirely.

Oh okay. Can you tell me is this working on 1803 and do I need to redownload and set it up every time there is a Windows Update? This bat or file enable group policy in Windows 10 home.
https://www.itechtics.com/easily-enable-group-policy-editor-gpedit-msc-in-windows-10-home-edition/

Does WUMT Wrapper script going to nuke my Windows Update bad if I mess up the software like uninstall/remove WUMT before enable Windows Update?

Also, do I need to do a clean install OS if I upgrade from Home to Pro? Because some sites like Kinguin suggest a clean install and key does not work for upgrade and I need to call Microsoft for the activation?
Windows 10 Pro OEM Key | Buy on Kinguin

Go to Activation Detail tab
Yes, since 1709 or 1803, unless you use some tools to elevate rights (I do not like using external tools). MS is fighting back. :D

I am glad I got my Pro Licence from MS store for $15 back then and for $8, from somewhere else. I have not lost much sleep about it. :sneaky:

I still have my Windows 8.1 disc and license work.........

Oh okay. Can you tell me is this working on 1803 and do I need to redownload and set it up every time there is a Windows Update? This bat or file enable group policy in Windows 10 home.
https://www.itechtics.com/easily-enable-group-policy-editor-gpedit-msc-in-windows-10-home-edition/

Also, do I need to do a clean install OS if I upgrade from Home to Pro? Because some sites like Kinguin suggest a clean install and key does not work for upgrade and I need to call Microsoft for the activation?
Windows 10 Pro OEM Key | Buy on Kinguin

Go to Activation Tab

Upvote 0

Vasudev

Level 33
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
I'm on v1803 and also I'm using group policy tweak and PolicyPlus to do some gpedit.msc tweaks but only some of them work.
Its better to Clean install. You can get away with Home to Pro upgrade w/o data loss because MSFT uses multi edition ISO and its easy for upgrade since Home version includes most components of Pro and its hidden.
You can use 8.1 license for instant upgrade to Pro Retail version/OEM version.
Do note that disabling WU using wub disables updates and you need to enable WU in wub for downloading apps through MS Store and Windows updates and drivers.

Upvote 0

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
Reactions: Vasudev
Upvote 0

SumTingWong

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 2, 2018
Reactions: Vasudev
Upvote 0

dragongate888

Level 2
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
But all of them require a clean installation of Windows. :censored:

Dammit.............Why the crap Microsoft make it so painful to disable automatic update in the home version.
I hear you. Just a bit hint---- if you don't mind doing google search for ----Microsoft Windows group policy----
you may find some links very helpful. And allow you to have group policy option installed in your Home version.

Reactions: plat
Upvote 0

Vasudev

Level 33
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
But all of them require a clean installation of Windows. :censored:

Dammit.............Why the crap Microsoft make it so painful to disable automatic update in the home version.
Why don't you try WUMT wrapper script and I have been using it for six months w/o auto updates.
An update for you. gpedit.msc tweak for Home version is working perfectly now.!

Upvote 0

dragongate888

Level 2
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
I have one laptop installed with latest Win10 LTSC 2019. The beauty of this version is that it does require minimum maintenance. Only the quality updates would be added to your machine. Users are virtually having a sound-sleep nights. I am contemplating to convert all PCs to this version, except few left for playing cat and mouse games with MS.

Reactions: SumTingWong
Upvote 0

SumTingWong

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 2, 2018
Why don't you try WUMT wrapper script and I have been using it for six months w/o auto updates.
An update for you. gpedit.msc tweak for Home version is working perfectly now.!
I have one laptop installed with latest Win10 LTSC 2019. The beauty of this version is that it does require minimum maintenance. Only the quality updates would be added to your machine. Users are virtually having a sound-sleep nights. I am contemplating to convert all PCs to this version, except few left for playing cat and mouse games with MS.

Do I have to redownload the file to enable Group Policy on Home every time I update Windows?

Upvote 0

Vasudev

Level 33
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
Do I have to redownload the file to enable Group Policy on Home every time I update Windows?
If you ran it before then its not needed. I do have custom ISO with the tweaks I use already. If you're interested leave a PM. It has 4 editions Home,Pro and their N version all updated to 441 build. I haven't updated it. The size is 4.68GB for v1803 and for v1809 its under 3.8GB updated to build 55. I'm using mobile data and data is quite limited.
I'm experimenting on how to remove Cortana and Edge w/o breaking Win 10.

Upvote 0

dragongate888

Level 2
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Lol. He just used it and it broke his system that is why he created this thread.:D
Sorry. I missed out that part. IMO, three possible options left . I have helped friends to deal with this Win Update dilemma.
(1) to install group policy editor in Home version.
(2) to upgrade to Pro and up, so that user has some options to delay feature updates.
(3) just like me, upgrade to LTSC, and say bye bye to those annoying feature updates and enjoy my peaceful WinTime.

Reactions: plat and harlan4096
Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 178

So I take that Windows Update in Windows 10 can't be disabled from services.msc? I didn't know.
Just block the corresponding svchost via firewall rule.
Anyway disabling updates is a bad idea in general and only skilled people aware of the repercussions should toy with it.

Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.