Infected operating system
Mac
Infected device issues
Safefinder adware

thesummit

Thread author
Apr 16, 2019
Hi,
Recently my friend has infected his computer with the "Safefinder" adware in safari on his mac, however after following multiple guides I am still not able to remove it - this includes malwarebytes (which found mackeeper, but after removal the adware is still running), and combo cleaner (that detected a browser hijacker but did not show a specific malicious file causing it). I've also deleted all extensions, cleared safari web data/cache/history, made sure there are no specific "safefinder" or other search apps installed, and made sure there are no profiles in system settings, but it keeps opening the homepage as Safefinder, even when I start in safe mode.
I think that the thing I might've missed is some application that has safefinder hidden on it, which means I might just have to go through the process of putting apps into trash until something sticks. That being said, I have two questions;

Does putting an application in Trash quarantine the app on Mac? (If I put it in trash, does it stop all process that come from it? Could I viably start putting all apps in trash one by one and end up with a clean Mac without the adware?) Or do I have to uninstall/remove from trash for it to stop working?
Does anyone perhaps have any other suggestions to check out?

Any help would be extremely appreciated!

Reactions: AndrewEddings

thesummit

Thread author
Apr 16, 2019
Perhaps I should also add that, while the safe-finder homepage loads, the URL bar promptly shows 'homesweeklies' (or something along those lines) and THEN changes to safefinder. Are they the same, seperate, or god knows what?

Reactions: AndrewEddings

AndrewEddings

May 1, 2019
Same... Damn... Thing. The SafeFinder BS is completely undetected everywhere on my computer after using multiple virus scans from Malwarebytes and Combo Cleaner. Manually removing stuff didn't help. It shows itself in my URL bar as 'get.strantano' or something. The thing is a living nightmare, taking over all of my settings without me being able to fix it, and blocking out my VPN. The tech guy at my school couldn't fix it. Neither could WHAT I THOUGHT was a hard reset. The SafeFinder crap makes my stuff say that I am not the administrator or network administrator -when I AM. It keeps me on restricted mode and everything. I've spent strenous hours over the course of the last 3 days trying to get rid of it. I HATE IT SO MUCH!

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.