Solved I can't play any video file

Status
Not open for further replies.

wagonsho

Thread author
Jul 29, 2013
None of my applications will play video files, VLC, windows Media center, or itunes
I can only play video through chrome

wagonsho

Thread author
Jul 29, 2013
All video and audio files are associated with VLC but I have tried all the installed video players. Only audio files play, video files cause the program to stop working.

Upvote 0

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
Maybe the video files that you are trying to play are corrupted.
Try downloading a new video file or make a video file with Windows Movie Maker then try to play it.

Download and install MediaInfo Lite.

Check you video files with it to make sure they are not corrupted.

Enjoy!! :D

Upvote 0

wagonsho

Thread author
Jul 29, 2013
They play through chrome just fine so they can't be corrupted and it is every video file which i have hundreds of just the other programs dont

Upvote 0

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
wagonsho said:
They play through chrome just fine so they can't be corrupted and it is every video file which i have hundreds of just the other programs dont

Chrome only can play flash videos, therefore that is not the same as video files on your system. Flash videos require a special player that supports flash format.

Try downloading FLV-Media-Player.

Enjoy!! :D

Upvote 0

wagonsho

Thread author
Jul 29, 2013
When I open FLV-Media-Player it just stops working
Also are you sure about chrome because I drag and drop videos into it to play them, mp4 and avi
Edit: Ok I got FLV-Media-Player to work and it plays the videos

Upvote 0

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
wagonsho said:
When I open FLV-Media-Player it just stops working
Also are you sure about chrome because I drag and drop videos into it to play them, mp4 and avi
Edit: Ok I got FLV-Media-Player to work and it plays the videos

So I guess the problem is solved?

Chrome only can play other media formats if you have plugins installed like VLC, Divx, Windows Media Player, Quicktime Player, Silverlight, etc. It already comes with Adobe Flash and Shockwave.

To check your plugins on Chrome, type "chrome://plugins/" in your address bar.

Were you having problem streaming online video files or having problems playing video files located on your hard drive?

Thanks. :D

Upvote 0

wagonsho

Thread author
Jul 29, 2013
I had a problem playing video files located on my hard drive
The only thing is that now I can only use FLV-Media-Player, I very much prefer VLC and i've tried everything from downgrading to a complete uninstall and redownload.

Upvote 0

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
I also had problems with VLC not working correctly, I tried several things and nothing worked, so I gave up on it and uninstalled it for good.

So I moved to SMPlayer it is just like VLC in many ways but didn't give me any problems. Very light and supports all media formats without having to install codecs.

You could also try Kantaris, it is based on VLC's open-source code.

Good luck :D

Upvote 0

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
Just install K Lite Mega Codec Pack with Media Player Classic (Home Cinema) and play everything.

Or just download KMPlayer and install and enjoy :) It's the most advanced media player out there, it never failed me.
Just beware of the toolbars media players are carrying in their installers.

Upvote 0

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
What sort of Video Files are you trying to play, exactly?

Check the Default Programs associated with your media players.

Also right-click the video files and choose 'Open with' and save the setting using the checkbox.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.