Troubleshoot I can't refresh system to default settings with keeping personal data files

Jogos

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Apr 9, 2017
Hi, I can't refresh system to default settings, can't install OS from DVD Disc with keeping personal data files, only "delete all" option is possible to choose.It's gone, I must to refresh the system with the files keeping.When i try to refresh the system pops up the message "during restore settings to initial settings encountered unknown error,No changes have been made" Booting from DVD in BIOS, it ends up the same.

Reactions: WinXPert and DardiM

DardiM

Level 26
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
May 14, 2016
Hi, I can't refresh system to default settings, can't install OS from DVD Disc with keeping personal data files, only "delete all" option is possible to choose.It's gone, I must to refresh the system with the files keeping.When i try to refresh the system pops up the message "during restore settings to initial settings encountered unknown error,No changes have been made" Booting from DVD in BIOS, it ends up the same.
What AV do you use ?
I am asking this, because some settings on some AV suites can make the same error message occurs (they protect some files, and without disabling some options, it makes the restoration fail). In this case : disabling the option (that protects system files) before the restoration should resolve the problem.
An example :
when I began to use Kaspersky, several years ago : I tried to use the restoration tool from Windows, and it seemed to make its job. The PC rebooted, and after :
=> the same error you described occurred and nothing was restored.
I then looked at the settings on kaspersky, and disabled the option that was blocking the system files change :
=> after that, I ran again the restoration process and this time all went well.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Jogos

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Apr 9, 2017
What AV do you use ?
I am asking this, because some settings on some AV suites can make the same error message occurs (they protect some files, and without disabling some options, it makes the restoration fail). In this case : disabling the option (that protects system files) before the restoration should resolve the problem.
An example :
when I began to use Kaspersky, several years ago : I tried to use the restoration tool from Windows, and it seemed to make its job. The PC rebooted, and after :
=> the same error you described occurred and nothing was restored.
I then looked at the settings on kaspersky, and disabled the option that was blocking the system files change :
=> after that, I ran again the restoration process and this time all went well.

I have Avast Free AV with enabled Hardened Mode, i will try your suggestion.

Upvote 0

Jogos

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Apr 9, 2017
@Jogos, what I would try to do, in this situation, is to go to an earlier restore point. If you have refreshed your system successfully with no problems before, this option might work.:)

Sadly, but i don't have any system restore point. I want to add, before this problems Control Panel works for me only from Search Option.

Upvote 0

Jogos

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Apr 9, 2017
I used fc /scannow and it give me this "Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations."

Second command "
C:\WINDOWS\system32>chkdsk /r/f
The type of the file system is NTFS.
Cannot lock current drive.

Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another
process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be
checked the next time the system restarts? (Y/N)"

Upvote 0

Jogos

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Apr 9, 2017
Have you tried it after have uninstalled all your security software ? (disable the internet connection)
Why not temporarily put you personal data to the cloud and then make a complete install ?

It's not possible, my internet restrictions do not allow this. I have over 300 GB of videos.The situation can be said to be fatal, and seldom happens that I can not find a solution but this time it is.

Reactions: DardiM
Upvote 0

DardiM

Level 26
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
May 14, 2016
There could be another solution but I am not sure if it works with Windows 10.
=> save on a folder all personal data (example : C:\my data\)
=> make a normal install, but without any "formatting" or "deleting" option.

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2
Upvote 0

Jogos

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Apr 9, 2017
There could be another solution but I am not sure if it works with Windows 10.
=> save on a folder all personal data (example : C:\my data\)
=> make a normal install, but without any "formatting" or "deleting" option.

In Windows installation I only have the option to Remove all, I still think over EASEUS Partition Master, I have to subtract space from partition C and give it partition D, and then copy the data to partition D. I have 101 GB of free disk space C, my movies on the partition C takes 170 GB, and here may be a problem but I will see.

Upvote 0

DardiM

Level 26
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
May 14, 2016
In Windows installation I only have the option to Remove all, I still think over EASEUS Partition Master, I have to subtract space from partition C and give it partition D, and then copy the data to partition D. I have 101 GB of free disk space C, my movies on the partition C takes 170 GB, and here may be a problem but I will see.
You can try to compress your movies, but the gain will be very low.
Or delete/uninstall some files/apps to gain some spaces.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Jogos

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Apr 9, 2017
I just found the solution but the procedure is very slow, I have a question if I remove the C: \ drive and install a new system on it, D: \ drive with my personal data will not be affected?

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2
Upvote 0

WinXPert

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jan 9, 2013
I used fc /scannow and it give me this "Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations."

Second command "
C:\WINDOWS\system32>chkdsk /r/f
The type of the file system is NTFS.
Cannot lock current drive.

Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another
process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be
checked the next time the system restarts? (Y/N)"

What happend to CHKDSK after a reboot?

Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.