Troubleshoot I Don't Have a Router Right Now

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

plat1098

Thread author
Hello everyone. :love:

My ISP supplies routers/modems for my Ethernet connection and the Altice-branded Sagem router is my third in less than a year. Something is always zapping it and making it dysfunctional. Anyway, I now have the Ethernet hooked up directly from modem to computer. What do you all recommend in terms of extra security measures, if any? Using just Windows firewall, and my browsing/downloading habits are a real yawn. DNS server is the Google one. Speed is overall OK but not consistently at 200/25.

Thank you for any insightful info. I have an open mind toward investing in a more decent Ethernet setup, OK?

Reactions: upnorth

Digerati

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Mar 2, 2017
I don't need to read articles.
LOL So you know it all already?

I do need to read articles. That's how I learn new things and stay current.

FTR, I'm no spring chicken when it comes to supporting servers and networks, having been in IT support since the early 70s. You can follow the link in my profile to see if I might have some clue about what I am talking about.

You told the OP to get a PSW UPS though you know he not dealing with servers and data centers. So you are right, your advise is irrelevant.

So if you continue to belabor all of this then you'll not get reinforcement of that lunacy from me.
That's good because I don't want your reinforcement when you can't be bothered to substantiate it with supporting evidence.

Have a good day.

For others who don't claim to already know it all, here's an excellent read that is still very much relevant today.
UPS - Uninterruptible Power Systems Waveforms Is a Sine Wave Necessary?

Upvote 0

Digerati

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Mar 2, 2017
Right. However, this is Brooklyn, not a chateau among the trees. And I needed to travel to ISP, passing right by the site of the latest police-involved shooting. Google it: that's my nabe
Sorry, you sneaked in your post just ahead of my last. Sorry to hear about this.
To plug thousands of dollars' worth of computer equipment into a 5 dollar strip is kind of foolish, I think. Hindsight is 20/20.
It you look at higher-end strips, they are not exactly cheap either. So again, you might consider a good UPS with AVR.

BTW, I have a UPS on my home theater system/big screen TV and one on my garage opener too!

Reactions: plat1098
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.