Advice Request I don't understand Windows Defender

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

RejZoR

Level 15
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 26, 2016
Few days ago, it was super fast and I was amazed how much better it is. Then I had to reinstall Windows because I had to replace motherboard and now Windows Defender is again slow as a turd sliding down the hill. I thought Creators Update improved it, but apparently that was just a glitch and not an actual improvement. I don't get it how can it be working so well one time and then be again the slowest thing in existence with 1 week in between. And that's going to the worst end of it and not for the better...

D

Deleted member 178

Softwares cannot have a "boosted" state in terms of speed or resources usage. The previous state was its normal state. Then something changed in your system and affects WD. Also do you use other security softwares running alongside? Did you ran a quick scan?

Piteko21

Level 18
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 13, 2014
Can be other problem or some other issues but, microsoft don't recomend a manual installation of windows 10 Creative Update.

"Blocking availability of the update to devices we know will experience issues is a key aspect of our controlled rollout approach. We decide what to block based on user impact, and blocking issues are a high priority for us to address as quickly as possible. During the time it takes to address an issue, we want to limit the number of customers exposed to that issue."

...for more explanations, please read the article: Windows 10 Creators Update rollout: First phase update - Windows Experience Blog

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Obviously something relating to hardware should be the main cause for your concern. Did you replace the Mobo with another brand or updated model?

askmark

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 31, 2016
When WD was slowing down my system during realtime scanning, I added exclusions for my security software (Hitman Pro.Alert, Voodooshield, ZAM and Comodo Firewall) They have been in place from Win 10 AU and I haven't haven't had any more problems since then.

woodrowbone

Level 10
Verified
Dec 24, 2011
I had a similar experience, did not change any hardware.
But when Avast updated some time ago and messed up my PC, I changed to WD.
Everything got slow, even browsing files in explorer.
Changed to Panda free and the system is flying again...

/W

RejZoR

Level 15
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 26, 2016
Obviously something relating to hardware should be the main cause for your concern. Did you replace the Mobo with another brand or updated model?

Motherboards don't affect performance to that degree when everything else is exactly the same...

Reactions: _CyberGhosT_

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
Few days ago, it was super fast and I was amazed how much better it is. Then I had to reinstall Windows because I had to replace motherboard and now Windows Defender is again slow as a turd sliding down the hill. I thought Creators Update improved it, but apparently that was just a glitch and not an actual improvement. I don't get it how can it be working so well one time and then be again the slowest thing in existence with 1 week in between. And that's going to the worst end of it and not for the better...
Have you tested that MoBo after install for any issues ? It is always a good idea to do so.
What MoBo did you get brother if you don't mind me asking ?

RejZoR

Level 15
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 26, 2016
I think I've found the culprit. And it's dumb as hell and didn't think about it till yesterday. It's the freaking Folder type setting which just randomly switches itself just to piss me off.

Right click on Downloads folder -> Properties -> Customize -> "Optimize this folder for:"

This thing, when it auto switches to Pictures, the listing of files by date in Downloads folder takes freaking ages, because OS apparently tries to read tons of metadata from files. If you switch it back to "General", it lists files by date in a fraction of a second (because I want last downloads to be on top).

Really stupid...

Windows Defender Shill

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Apr 28, 2017
I think I've found the culprit. And it's dumb as hell and didn't think about it till yesterday. It's the freaking Folder type setting which just randomly switches itself just to piss me off.

Right click on Downloads folder -> Properties -> Customize -> "Optimize this folder for:"

This thing, when it auto switches to Pictures, the listing of files by date in Downloads folder takes freaking ages, because OS apparently tries to read tons of metadata from files. If you switch it back to "General", it lists files by date in a fraction of a second (because I want last downloads to be on top).

Really stupid...
You're not alone, that fixed my download folder also. This has been a problem for years now, this article is from 2015 - How to Fix a Slow-Opening Windows Downloads Folder

It's not a WD problem, it was also slow when I used Kaspersky

But as far as usage goes Windows Defender is by far the best I've used.

woodrowbone

Level 10
Verified
Dec 24, 2011
Still strange then, that when I shifted AV from WD, that exact folder (who still is set at Pictures) got blazing fast?

/W

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Still strange then, that when I shifted AV from WD, that exact folder (who still is set at Pictures) got blazing fast?

/W
Are you on Creators Update? It fixes the slow download folder issue in Windows Defender.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011

Really stupid...
Good to know. Maybe it's also the reason complaining WD is slow to open a folder of executables, or do you think it's unrelated?

brambedkar59

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
Good to know. Maybe it's also the reason complaining WD is slow to open a folder of executables, or do you think it's unrelated?
I have a Backup folder for installers (drivers & utilities) so i don't need to download them again & again. Defender still takes about a minute to show all the icons. Almost all others AVs don't have this issue.
PS i am on creators update.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
I have a Backup folder for installers (drivers & utilities) so i don't need to download them again & again. Defender still takes about a minute to show all the icons. Almost all others AVs don't have this issue.
PS i am on creators update.
Try @RejZoR's fix.

Reactions: brambedkar59
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.