Serious Discussion I have an itch to secure my home some more. So how would you better secure a house full of IoT devices?

kC77

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Aug 16, 2021
Step 1 vlans - isolate /segrement your network
Put untrusted devices on their own network.
(I have 5 vlans at home)
Trusted
Guests
Iot
Work
Cctv

But even just 2 would be a good start for you, get those iot devices off your main /trusted network

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
A WiFi router that receives firmware updates, with VPN and DNS configurable settings, and router firewall.

Disable WPS and other unsecured forms of connectivity.

Enable Guest networks for foreign devices (ie. friends and other family).

I would recommend WiFi 6/6E compatible router at a minimum, however this heavily dependent on the household and how often electronic devices are upgraded. For example, if you are satisfied with WiFi 5 and using older technology, or don’t own any devices that are currently WiFi 6 or later compatible, then don’t upgrade unless you are certain you are no longer receiving router firmware updates. WiFi 7 routers are available, but are relatively expensive right now.

A cybersecurity-powered router isn’t always the ideal umbrella solution, as they often require on-going subscriptions to get the best protection.

cartaphilus

Level 5
Thread author
Mar 17, 2023
A WiFi router that receives firmware updates, with VPN and DNS configurable settings, and router firewall.

Disable WPS and other unsecured forms of connectivity.

Enable Guest networks for foreign devices (ie. friends and other family).

I would recommend WiFi 6/6E compatible router at a minimum, however this heavily dependent on the household and how often electronic devices are upgraded. For example, if you are satisfied with WiFi 5 and using older technology, or don’t own any devices that are currently WiFi 6 or later compatible, then don’t upgrade unless you are certain you are no longer receiving router firmware updates. WiFi 7 routers are available, but are relatively expensive right now.

A cybersecurity-powered router isn’t always the ideal umbrella solution, as they often require on-going subscriptions to get the best protection.
Thank you!

Yeah I got wifi 6 but it only works at 6 if everyone on the ssid is 6 otherwise it falls back to 5.

I will wait on 7 until the certification is finalized since I think right now it's in the homestretch but not final yet.

cartaphilus

Level 5
Thread author
Mar 17, 2023
Reactions: simmerskool

Brahman

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 22, 2013
I wonder if I could run sophos xg utm on it or untangle
you don't need untangle, Routeros V7 can do all the things and even more what untangle does except "https" filtering. you can get the allmost the same security with nextdns doh in roteros. Sophos does not even support wireguard, so its a no no if you use a vpn on a router.

Last edited:

cartaphilus

Level 5
Thread author
Mar 17, 2023
you don't need untangle, Routeros V7 can do all the things and even more what untangle does except "https" filtering. you can get the allmost the same security with nextdns doh in roteros. Sophos does not even support wireguard, so its a no no if you use a vpn on a router.
Damn I currently have brocade icx-7150 and R510 APs however I don't think they support DOH.

Brahman

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 22, 2013
It even supports a usb 3.0 port for added storage for your docker containers. Add a 128GB USB drive and you are good to go.

Reactions: simmerskool
F

ForgottenSeer 97327

@Brahman I really like the video of Microtik router, the host is really fun to watch :)
The specs are impressive (also for rather low price available in Netherlands)(y)
1691303636753.png

Victor M

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Oct 3, 2022
Throw in a cheap box and run pfSense at the entrance to that IoT lan. pfSense is a linux firewall does firewall rules, supports DMZ, and it has intrusion prevention (IPS). That should filter out some attacks to your IoT devices.

Make the IoT WiFi password long, like a passphrase. The length part will filter out some WiFi bruteforce attacks.

But there are exploits for some China made devices, and router + modem residential attacks are on the rise. Security teams aren't raising alarms because they serve to protect corporations but there was a security news article mentioning that. For example, there's an exploit for my Bell modem+router, and there is a permanent attacker box sitting in my lan, nmap sees it, and I can't get rid of it no matter how many times I change the password. Lord only knows what he's doing. So I turn on my VPN even at home.

I hope you are not only focusing on network security, because there is only so much network security can do, like throwing in an NGAV, enable network segmentation. Endpoints are the real end game. After all, attackers aim to get control of your machine. And your server, if you have one. Strong endpoint security is a must.

If you trust Microsoft, their MS Defender for Biz is an EDR (endpoint detection & response) It has a nice cloud console, and you can see your security score, current attack trends (with remediation) and current incidences. And they show a pretty diagram of attacks in progress. And it is cheaper than most AV suites. If you load MS Security Baseline for Windows 22H2, it will give you a device score of 100% secure, which is why I don't trust it that much - the score gives a false sense of security. It only works on Windows Pro.

In the end, true security seems to require man power for monitoring. Which is why I choose an EDR - I have a browser tab open to the console at all times.

Last edited:

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Can set up using a dedicated router for IoT devices, one for gaming and one for general use

Ok.........go and get a 10Gbps plan

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.